The Legal Counsel is principally responsible for providing and arranging legal services for the company at the direction of the VP General Counsel & Corporate Secretary including, without limitation, supporting the Corporation's insurance, HMO, TPA and government program operations, managing the Company's litigation, providing legal research and guidance to the company's management and Directors, interacting with legislative and regulatory authorities ensuring compliance with all applicable Federal and State Laws and Regulations.
Primary Job Duties:
- General Legal Service and Advice: The incumbent is responsible for providing all manner of legal services and advice associated with the company's operations as a not-for-profit health service corporation, health maintenance organization, third party administrator and government contractor. Legal Counsel will provide legal services and advice associated with the company's relationship with the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association and other BCBSA Plans. Legal Counsel is also responsible for conducting such other activities that are necessary to ensure that legal services are provided to the company in a timely, professional and efficient manner.
- Contract Negotiation Development and Implementation: Legal Counsel will provide and arrange for value added legal services to company management in the structuring, negotiation and implementation of transactions related to the company's insurance, health maintenance organization and third party administrator operations and government contracts. The Legal Counsel shall also provide assistance with respect to the structuring, negotiation and implementation of strategic alliances commercial, financial and real estate matters that are designed to support the company's core operations. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, drafting and reviewing coverage plans and riders and facilitating the submission of these documents to the appropriate regulatory agency.
- Risk Management Litigation and Compliance: Legal Counsel shall be responsible for managing and pursuing any administrative complaints and adjudication as well as judicial and appellate litigation or potential litigation in which the company is involved. The Legal Counsel is responsible for assisting outside counsel in the development of litigation strategies, ensuring that discovery requests are responded to accurately and efficiently and assisting in the preparation of employee witnesses for depositions and trials. The Legal Counsel is also responsible for developing a budget for each case and reviewing invoices submitted by outside counsel, to ensure that all statements accurately reflect the work performed by outside counsel. The incumbent shall also develop and implement risk management techniques that are designed to avoid unnecessary litigation and disputes and to ensure that the company's insurance coverage is adequate given the identified potential liabilities of the company. Legal Counsel shall also provide legal services associated with the company's compliance program including, without limitation, handling internal investigations as requested by the Compliance Officer, providing legal guidance to the Compliance Officer and assisting in any disclosures, audits or investigations made to or conducted by State and Federal Agencies.
- Legislation, Monitoring and Implementation: Legal Counsel will review and comment on proposed legislation and rules and government relations initiatives to the Company's Director of Government Relations. In addition, the Legal Counsel shall provide support and advice related to the implementation of new statutes and regulations and shall review and develop (to the extent appropriate) corporate policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Training: The incumbent will develop and conduct training programs as necessary to ensure that the company's management and personnel are aware of the legal rights and obligations of the company and its staff.
- Corporate Document Preparation and Review: Legal Counsel will prepare and Corporate documents necessary to support the General Counsel's function as Corporate Secretary including, without limitation, Articles of Incorporation, Articles of Amendment, By-Laws, Board Minutes and Resolutions, and making any related filings with the New York State Secretary of State or other Regulatory Agencies. The incumbent will review advertising, marketing and communications to ensure that they are in compliance with applicable regulations, statutes or laws and comply with the standards maintained in the BCBSA License Agreements.
- Provide legal services and advice to the Corporation regarding employment law matters including, but not limited to, investigating and responding to complaints from the NYS Division of Human Rights, EEOC and the Department of Labor and ensuring compliance with all federal and state employment and labor laws and regulations.
- Must possess a strong academic background
- Must have excellent verbal, written and analytical skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Organized, action oriented and focused on outcomes needed to support the organization's position
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, Lotus Notes and the Internet
- Must possess the ability to work independently on routine matters, however, is expected to seek guidance and accept supervision on more complicated matters or where substantial amounts of money or significant other risks to the organization are involved
- High degree of business maturity and demonstrated confidentiality and able to represent the organization's position in a proactive, intelligent, strategic and assertive manner
- JD-Juris Doctor
- Must be licensed to practice law in New York State
- 3+ years related experience; corporate and transactional experience preferred
- Health insurance industry experience a plus
HealthNow New York Inc. is one of New York’s leading health care companies that provide access to quality health care and innovative...