Centerplate is one of North America's largest providers of quality food and beverage, catering, merchandise and facility management services for many of America's best-known sports, convention and entertainment venues. As our singular goal is to be #1 in Event Hospitality, all of our managers, chefs and employees are “Hospitality Ambassadors.”
”Craveable Experiences. Raveable Results.” ™
We currently seek a talented and experienced professional serve as Corporate Director of Payroll Services for our Corporate Support Center, based in Greenville, SC. The Corporate Support Center serves the needs of our nearly 30,000 employees in the field who operate our 250+ contracted locations. These include restaurants, professional and minor league sports stadiums, concert halls, convention centers, airports and other public entertainment venues.
Reporting to the Vice President of Tax & Licensing, The Corporate Payroll Director is responsible for supervising a team of 6 individuals and for ensuring the utmost in quality and service within our in-house payroll function. The Corporate Payroll Director will manage day-to-day payroll processing (weekly, bi-weekly, exempt and non exempt) in a multi-state environment and will be directly responsible for meeting all state and Federal compliance and regulatory requirements for payroll-related reporting. They will respond to ad hoc requests using the Lawson payroll system, and will have ownership and oversight over payroll general ledger accounts.
This person will be required to think strategically and to be proactive in identifying problems and raising concerns, while at the same time offering potential solutions to problems. This individual will be expected to identify opportunities for improvement within policies, procedures and quality control processes within the payroll function.
The successful candidate will partner closely with the tax, finance, accounting, HR and operations teams to ensure the development, implementation and enforcement of Centerplate’s overall standards for accuracy, efficiency, quality and financial performance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise payroll coordinators and managers. Maintain substantial knowledge of their job activities and responsibilities, as well as to ensure quality of their work product.
- Deliver effective, efficient, accurate and timely payroll processing and related reporting.
- Team with Payroll Managers to ensure enforcement of legal, regulatory, and policy compliance. Includes production of mandatory reports for government agencies that are accurate and timely. Includes issuance of W-2’s.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of payroll and payroll tax, including standard procedures and deadlines. Also requires general working knowledge of accounting.
- Review computed wages and resolve errors / issues to ensure balancing. Supervise withholdings process for taxes, garnishments, and other payroll deductions.
- Provide high level of customer service; Supervise team to ensure understanding of inquiries, and that responses are provided in a timely, consistent, quality and service-oriented fashion.
- Supervise the preparation of paychecks, pay cards or electronic transfers to bank accounts.
- Streamline project processes to improve efficiency, eliminate redundancy, and take advantage of technology, without compromising the integrity and accuracy of the work. Apply payroll best practices; ensure appropriate internal controls and standards of documentation.
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict confidentiality in matters that require discretion. Ensure integrity of all payroll records, documentation, and work paper files.
- Provide training and coaching to all members of the department and ensure effective, ongoing communication and education; Develop staff, including regular review of performance and timely feedback
- Assist in the execution of departmental goals with the Payroll Managers and report progress towards goals; Set personnel goals for coordinators and monitor progress throughout the year.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications, advising management on needed actions to ensure compliance.
- Utilize technology skills (both Lawson and Microsoft Office Suite products) to improve efficiency of payroll processes. Ensure payroll team has appropriate and recurring training in the area of technology.
- Team with others in Finance, Human Resources and IT on a regular basis to ensure open communication and information sharing, coordination on problem and/or issue resolution, and sharing of best practices.
- Take full responsibility for project load, while being able to appropriately communicate with staff to ensure agreement on priorities, direction of projects, status, issues and issue resolution.
- Actively participate in Lawson and other system upgrades or initiatives, including input from Payroll’s perspective, user testing and reviews, etc.
- Ensure payroll accounts are reconciled in the general ledger accurately and that reconciling items are resolved on timely basis.
- Perform ad hoc projects and reporting, as necessary.
- Work with 3rd party vendor to monitor and assist in administration and management of the Company’s 401(k) plan.
- Perform other job-related duties as necessary.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE: (PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY, AS WE CAN ONLY CONSIDER THOSE WHO MEET THESE QUALIFICATIONS)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or a related field of study.
- 7 years or more of progressive payroll experience, to include a minimum of 5 years in a senior payroll supervisory role, managing a team of 5 or greater.
- Large company experience is a must, with multi-unit and multi-state experience required.
- Previous work experience within the hospitality services industry is a plus.
- Must have experience in managing and administering 401(k) plans.
- Experience with Lawson payroll system and Attendance Enterprise time & attendance system is highly desired.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the E-verify and I-9 processes.
- Expert-level knowledge and understanding of payroll laws and tax rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting and HR concepts.
- Expert-level knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite software programs (Add-Ins, Access, Word, Power Point) new software programs.
- Exceptional customer service orientation with ability to effectively interface with all levels of management in various departments from Human Resources, Accounting, and other departments.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills, able to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Must be able to work effectively in a fast-pasted environment, under sometimes-stressful conditions and within extremely tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Results oriented; able to easily take initiative and ownership to fulfill all departmental responsibilities.
- Strong team orientation.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to work irregular or extended hours when needed, to include nights, weekends and holidays.
This position is accompanied by a competitive salary and benefits package.
*Please include salary requirements when applying in order to be considered.*
Thank you for expressing interest in employment with Centerplate. While only those candidates considered for this position will be contacted, your resume will remain on file for 90 days.
Centerplate is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MAKING IT BETTER TO BE THERE SINCE 1929
At gathering places across North America and the United Kingdom, Centerplate and our partner...