About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit
The purpose of this position is to support on matters relating to corporate governance, subsidiary maintenance, securities law and NYSE filings, registered shareholders, common stock and the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for the incorporation, qualification, reorganization or dissolution of the Company and its subsidiaries in various states
- Ensures compliance with New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) listing criteria based on advice and guidance from securities counsel
- Provides support for compliance with respect to federal and state securities law matters, including: current reports on Form 8-K to the SEC; Rule 144 matters; and Section 16 matters
- Prepares and files reports and, based on advice and guidance from securities counsel, ensures compliance with Section 16 by Company insiders
- Aids in advising directors and officers of the statutory liabilities imposed on them with respect to the securities of the Company
- Supports transactional activity as needed, including due diligence reviews and integration of corporate secretary functions of acquired companies.
- Maintains parent and subsidiary corporate records and registrations, including subsidiary minute books, foreign qualifications and officer and director rosters; maintains key subsidiary information on electronic site (CSC’s Records Center).
- Prepares and files corporate annual reports for the Company and its subsidiaries in various states
- Prepares board and shareholder minutes and consents for the parent and subsidiaries; obtains signatures from senior management.
- Reviews and revises charters, bylaws and corporate governance documents as needed.
- Maintains corporate organizational chart.
- Responds to shareholder inquiries and requests; obtains information from and coordinates with transfer agent as needed.
- Supports parent board of directors and shareholder meeting matters as needed, including assisting with planning meetings, maintaining/distributing board material and supporting corporate governance matters.
- Responds to data requests and corporate/subsidiary information requests as needed.
- Performs corporate legal research as requested.
- May have frequent contact with senior management and board of directors
- Interactions and communications may require discretion and judgment
- Completes work independently with minimal supervision and direction
- Analyzes possible solutions to a range of issues
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university
Related Work Experience:
- Paralegal certificate from an ABA-accredited institution
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
- 3-6 years experience in corporate department of large law firm or equivalent experience in legal/corporate secretary’s department of publicly traded company
- Working knowledge of SEC, NYSE and Section 16 reporting requirements
- Applicant may possess a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Excellent word processing, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Analytical and logic skills
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong decision-making capabilities and independent judgment including the management of confidential information and sensitive situations.
- Dependable, self-starting, results-oriented individual
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Good people skills, positive attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and with all types of external contacts.
- Formation and maintenance of corporation subsidiaries.
- Strong research and organizational skills
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job.
The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
- Keyboarding = Frequent (67-100%)
- On-Call = Occasional (1-33%)
- Requires some travel = (1-33%)
AGL Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.
AGL Resources - 12 months ago
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...