Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Reports to Paralegal Program Manager
Under general supervision, provides organizational and substantive support to attorneys and senior paralegal(s) in the Business Department practice groups and interdepartmental practice groups. Applying thorough knowledge, responsibilities include assistance in venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, stock and stock option administration, and other corporate work. Assists in related work with other practice areas and performs related research and analysis. Ensures client services and satisfaction are attained in all areas of position.
1. Consistently promote and model the Firm's Client Service Principles in teamwork, work product, and personal interaction.
2. Ensure exemplary client service to all internal and external clients; proactively promote client service throughout department and among teams; respond to peer requests with recognition that request serves a client or Firm need.
1. Business Entity Formation/Organization: Assist with entity formation, including checking corporate name availability, reserving corporate names, and preparing drafts of corporate organizational documents; assist with ongoing operations of corporations and corporate records maintenance; preparing foreign qualifications, withdrawals, and dissolutions.
2. Transactional: Assist with and coordinate closings of venture capital financings; public offerings, acquisitions and mergers, and other corporate transactions, including drafting board and shareholder resolutions and some ancillary documents; assisting with due diligence procedures, including online and factual searches, as well as organization of due diligence materials and working with virtual data rooms; prepare and distribute closing volumes.
3. Securities: Research securities and filing requirements; prepare and file “Blue Sky” and SEC registrations. Assist with public company SEC filings, including both corporate and Section 16 filings; prepare Rule 144 opinion letters; assist with preparation and organization of documents related to and coordination of public company transactions; draft Form S-8s; comprehensive knowledge of how a public company works, including understanding of Federal Securities laws.
4. Perfection of Security Interest under the Uniform Commercial Code: Prepare and file standard UCC financing, continuation and termination statements; initiate and analyze UCC search results; research filing requirements in various states and calendar expiration dates for UCC-1 filings.
5. Corporate Housekeeping: Prepare and file documents and forms for ongoing corporate operations, including amendments to articles of incorporation and bylaws, miscellaneous directors’ and shareholders’ resolutions, and applications for authority to do business out of state. Organize, review and maintain corporate records. May prepare stock option agreements and stock certificates and maintain stock ledgers and capitalization table.
6. Apply analytical and organizational skills, coordinate processes and provide follow-up on project management, including ability to anticipate future requests based on knowledge of past transactions.
7. Assist with proofreading and redlining of documents; initiate and coordinate processes such as document distributions and ensure effective information flow.
8. Work with various service companies and governmental agencies, including Secretaries of State, Department of Corporations, and SEC to file and retrieve documents.
9. Conduct research and perform library and online searches; work with outside libraries and Morrison & Foerster library staff to obtain reference materials; locate data and information that may not be readily available.
10. Provide guidance and training to junior paralegals as needed.
11. Assist in preparation of audit response letters.
12. Responsible for adhering to the firm’s document management and retrieval systems, including computerized systems.
1. Complete and release time notes on a daily basis.
2. Complete and release time sheets on a weekly basis.
3. Ensure that minimum billable hours expectation is met.
4. Proactively work with your supervisor and the attorneys in your group to seek out additional work when your billable hours expectation cannot be met through regular assigned work.
1. Remain current in industry trends in Business and the legal profession.
2. Ensure expertise in technology relevant to the position; proactively use most current technology to further teamwork, client service, and efficiency.
Ensure compliance with the Firm's Information Handling Policy, including safeguarding confidential and personal information, and reporting any suspected breach appropriately and immediately.
Adhere to the Firm’s General Safety Practices and any unique safety practices for department and building.
Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree and one year of law related experience or certificate from an ABA approved paralegal program required, and strong academic record desired.
2. Minimum three years of experience in a law firm working as a corporate paralegal.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
1. Strong sense of accountability, taking ownership over projects and responsibilities and resolving issues proactively.
2. High level of accuracy, attention to detail, and excellent proofreading skills.
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
4. Ability to assess information, anticipate issues and outcomes, and make effective decisions.
5. Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
6. Ability to manage multiple requests, assess priorities, and achieve solutions under deadlines.
7. Flexibility and ability to work overtime required.
8. Excellent teamwork skills and a strong client service orientation.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
How to Apply
Only Online Applications will be considered. You will receive a confirmation of your application via email. No phone calls please.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Morrison & Foerster is not accepting resumes or referrals from agencies. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Morrison & Foerster hires the candidate.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
425 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
Morrison & Foerster is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Morrison & Foerster - 6 months ago
With more than 1,000 lawyers in key finance and technology centers internationally, Morrison & Foerster offers clients comprehensive, gl...