A CAREER IN CORRECTIONS
ANDREW M. CUOMO, GOVERNOR - BRIAN FISCHER, COMMISSIONER
Correction Officer Trainee
salary starts at $39,014* and increases to $46,990 after one year
We offer the opportunity for a fulfilling career in a stable work environment, with numerous prospects for advancement. Benefits include competitive health and life insurance, 13 paid vacation days, 12 paid holidays, 5 paid personal days, paid sick leave, and a pension plan that allows you to retire after 25 years of service (at any age). Become a correction officer with the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision in one of our many correctional facilities located throughout New York State.
The New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision will be hiring thousands of new correction officers over the next few years. If you want to be one of them, you must take and pass the Civil Service Examination on April 13, 2013. Applications must be postmarked by February 25, 2013.
1. There is no minimum age requirement to take the exam. However, you must be 21 years old at time of appointment. There is no maximum age limit.
2. You must be a high school graduate or have a high school equivalency diploma. No college credits are required for this position.
3. You must be a United States citizen.
4. Out-of-state residents are encouraged to take the test, but you must be a resident of New York State before being appointed to the position.
NYSDOCCS is a non-discriminatory affirmative action employer and strongly encourages females and minorities to apply.
- The salary increases to $41,037 after 6 months. Additional compensation is provided through a pre-shift briefing premium and corrections expanded duty pay payable each payroll period in addition to base salary. This additional compensation currently amounts to $179.73 per payroll period. Appointees who work in the five boroughs of New York City or in Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland or Westchester Counties will receive an additional $3,438 annual downstate adjustment. Appointees who work in Dutchess, Orange, or Putnam Counties will receive an additional $1,280 annual Mid-Hudson adjustment.
Apply on-line or download exam announcements and applications at: www.cs.ny.gov/exams
Visit our website at www.doccs.ny.gov for additional information on the position of correction officer.