Provides direct supervision of jail inmates to ensure the safety and security of the jail facility for all inmates, employees and the public. Using Principles of Direct Supervision, this mission is accomplished.
Must be available to work 12 hour shifts, nights, weekends and holidays.
1. Maintains security, order and discipline by enforcing the rules and regulations of the Scott County Jail facility, through active and continuous interaction with the inmates in the housing units, and through visual monitoring from the restricted access control rooms.
2. Supervises all daily activities of inmate housing units such as mail, programming, commissary, meal service, laundry service and medical needs.
3. Responds in a calm, confident and organized manner to emergency situations arising from fire, egress alarms, duress alarms, altercations or medical emergencies.
4. Performs searches of inmates, housing areas, and jail facilities on a regular basis and on unannounced irregular intervals for cleanliness, contraband and order.
5. Identifies and documents daily activities of the inmates. Reports serious medical and mental health conditions along with unusual or positive behaviors.
6. Restores order and controls the movement of inmates during disturbances and emergencies using appropriate physical control or equipment.
7. Performs a variety of duties such as housing unit officer, central control, visitation, escort, booking, or any other related duties as may be required.
8. Performs daily counts of inmates, determines their location and records inmate location lists.
9. Identifies serious or life threatening medical conditions and makes the appropriate notifications. May administer basic first aid, perform CPR, pass medications or utilize an AED as needed.
10. Responsible for the use of engineering and safe work practice controls in blood borne pathogens cleanup which includes but is not limited to; blood, bodily fluids and other potentially infectious microorganisms.
11. Performs other job-related duties as assigned and/or necessary.
Field Training Officer / F.T.O.
Corrections Emergency Response Team / C.E.R.T.
Transport Officer or attendant
Standards For Initial Consideration:
High School diploma or GED required. Successfully complete Iowa Law Enforcement Academy jail school. College coursework in Corrections, Sociology or other related field preferred.
Three years of post high school work experience is required, preferably in a civil or military detention facility or security field. Two years of work experience with direct public contact desired.
Working knowledge of the rules, regulations, and statutes pertaining to the custody and discipline of inmates.
Must be of good moral character and pass a criminal background check.
Ability to handle difficult and complex incidents occurring within the facility within established legal and procedural guidelines.
Ability to recognize various types of inmate behavior and to supervise and control inmates and secure their cooperation.
Knowledge of the basic principles of first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
Must be able to meet any additional criteria established by state and federal law to be certified to the IOWA (Iowa On-line Warrants and Articles) system and the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) system.
Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the general public, inmates, government officials, law enforcement agencies and fellow employees.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to complete standardized report forms and compose brief descriptive narratives.
Ability to follow directions and adhere to strict guidelines.
Ability to exercise independent judgement.
Ability to operate equipment, such as: county computer system, CCTV audio monitoring system, door control system, two-way radio, video equipment, transport van/squads, cuffs, shackles, fax, photocopier, and camera.
Ability to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver's license. (Verified.)
Ability to exemplify, by his or her actions, the County's PRIDE philosophy.
Must be able to pass a post-offer physical exam including a drug screen, a psychological exam and detailed background investigation. Valid driver's license w/ good driving record required (verified).
Individuals in need of special accommodations during the application process are asked to notify our office in advance.
Scott County, Iowa - 14 months ago