This position is located at Alexander Correctional Institution in Alexander County, NC. Provide supervision for subordinate staff. Conduct shift line-up make shift assignments and inspect all personnel to determine if they are physically and mentally capable of assuming an assigned post. Complete, review and maintain time reports, duty rosters, leave schedules performance evaluations and administrative forms. Account for persons and funds to ensure that all assigned equipment is operationally ready.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies:
Effectively communicate with inmates, staff and members of the general public. Perform searches of persons, places, and objects. Respond at any time to emergency calls. Transport inmates in approved departmental vehicles at any time, day or night, in any weather, traffic and road conditions. Perform rescue functions to include, CPR, basic first aid, physically removing people from dangerous areas and using fire fighting equipment to include fire hoses, extinguishers and breathing apparatus. Establish and maintain control of violent or uncooperative inmates. Defend oneself or others against violent attack. Apprehend escaped/fleeing inmates to include running, jumping, climbing, crawling, using reasonable physical force to include deadly force. Load, unload, aim and fire handguns, shotguns and rifles at level of proficiency required. Maintain professional demeanor at all times to include times of mental and verbal abuse by inmates.
Applicant must have passed the Sergeant's promotional examination within the past five (5) years.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Graduation from high school and two years of experience as a correctional officer. Necessary Special Qualification - must be eligible for certification by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Council. . . .
Supplemental and Contact Information:
The N.C. Department of Public Safety (DPS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages qualified men and women to apply. DPS uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified individuals. Hiring salary will be based on relevant qualifications, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position.
- Online applications are only accepted through
- To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the State of North Carolina application. Any information omitted cannot be considered for qualifying credit.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application.
- Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with your application.
- During the online application process if additional documentation is required, attach the documentation at the bottom of Step 4 in the application process.
- Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Contact Information: Angela Kidd, Personnel Tech II - 828-757-5638
North Carolina Office of State Human Resources - 17 months ago