As a Correspondence Examination Technician you will:
- Perform case analysis on pre-classified returns and unresolved responses; classify returns with high correspondence examination potential or complex issues.
- Examine programs and tax law changes; research using IDRS and AIMS generated material; inform recurring procedural problems and suggests new methods.
- Contact taxpayers to obtain information, explain liability, and encourage compliance; protect confidentiality of taxpayer information within the confines of disclosure laws, rules, and regulations.
- Reconstruct transactions and identify prior processing errors to determine whether to assess or waive tax liability; compute gross income and make appropriate adjustments.
- Process cases that may involve restricted interest and multiple year adjustments; recognize indications of suspect tax return preparers, tax protesters and indications of fraud.
- Initiate handling notices to provide instructions for the full range of corrections to taxpayer accounts; provide telephone assistance to the public in answering technical questions on specific cases.
- Recognize correspondence that meets congressional or PRP criteria, and ensure expedited handling.
- Protect government's interest regarding imminent statute expiration cases.
You must meet the following basic qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-5 LEVEL: A. One year or twelve (12) months of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-04) in the Federal government. Specialized experience is experience that is related to the work of this position and has provided you with the competencies required for successful job performance. OR B . A Bachelor's degree or four (4) years of education above high school in any field of study from an accredited college or university. OR C. A combination of education and experience equivalent to that described above.
WASHINGTON - The Internal Revenue Service today released new withholding tables that will result in more take-home pay this spring for...