No. of Immediate Direct Reports / Total No. of Employees Reporting to This Position
Date Created / Author / Approved By
10/29/10/REV 9/2/11 SR, SD, JG
The cost accountant position supports the Controller in the financial reporting for the division and ensuring the integrity of the information. This position takes an active role in project margin reviews, analyzing and explaining changes to budget and providing accurate information to be used in forecasting. This role will also participate in the month end close, forecast and budget development and ensuring proper internal controls are in place to safe guard the Company’s assets.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities & Deliverables
Perform daily, weekly and monthly processes in the ERP system to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of financial information.
Actively participate in project cost reviews, working closely with the project managers, the cost accountant will analyze and report any cost change to budget and the impact on profitability.
Develop actions from project cost reviews to mitigate issues from reoccurring.
Perform month end close:
Ensure manual and system transaction accounts reconcile to applicable ERP reports. Reports and reconciliation of accounts are to be reviewed with the controller.
Close all open accounting issues prior to or on the last day of the month.
Explain any variances to forecast and budget.
Issue reports as required.
Prepare routine journal entries.
Participate in the preparation of the monthly forecast, strategic plan and annual budget.
Coordinate / address any issues in the ERP system (Baan/AX) with fellow cost accountants and controllers.
Develop, maintain and distribute management reports as necessary to support the ongoing business and continuous improvement initiatives.
Perform capital expenditure / ROIC reviews (as necessary) for proposed capital projects and track ROIC performance of implemented capital projects.
Track and control overhead spending.
Other duties as directed by management.
Partners with all central functions such as Quality, Engineering, Finance, IT, and HR to ensure that enabling strategies and tactics are in place and are consistent with broader business strategies and tactics.
Engage in continuous improvement for processes included in and adjacent to job role. Recognize and resolve customer satisfaction issues (both internal and external).
Follow safe work practices by attending all required EH&S training, reporting safety incidents and near misses on a timely basis and maintaining the goal of “zero” lost time incidents.
Key Performance Indicators
100% on time and accurate financial reporting.
Effective utilization of the ERP system
Timely reporting of potential variances to support business decisions
Experience, Competencies and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in accounting, with at least 3 years specifically in cost accounting and 2 years in project costing; or a combination thereof.
- Experience in an ERP environment.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be team orientated.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Broad business knowledge; must understand how a business works and impact of decisions with regard to profitability, quality, forecasting etc.
- Logical problem solving skills, outstanding organizational skills and dedication to quality and integrity. Proven ability to quickly assess complex issues and identify root causes/key success factors.
- The positive attitude, ethics, and values necessary to support the company's mission and a high performance culture.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills that will enable the successful candidate to favorably influence leaders, peers, staff, etc. Must possess the right balance of mental toughness, communication skills, and political savvy and self confidence to successfully learn and operate within the organizational structure.
- Drive, style and intellect required to make an immediate contribution as well as growing with the organization and role.
- Advanced user in Excel and Computer literate in Microsoft Office Software including; Word, PowerPoint and Access.
- Willingness to travel domestically as necessary.
- Project costing preferred
- MS AX Dynamics ERP experience
Primary Customer/Supplier Relationships
- Division Team Members
- HNA Integrated Supply Chain
- HNA Finance
Environmental Working Conditions
- Computer use
- Accounts Clerk – F390 Month End Close
- Cost Accountant – F030 Periodic Project Forecast Review
- Cost Accountant – F070 Recognizing Percentage of Completion Revenue
- Cost Accountant – F080 Setting a Project to Stage In Progress Closed
- Cost Accountant – F085 Project Stage Closed Warranty to Finished
- Cost Accountant – F110 Entering Exchange Rates on a Project
- Cost Accountant – F390 Month End Close
- Cost Accountant – O130 Manufacturing Work Order
- Cost Accountant – O290 Inventory Transfer
- Cost Accountant – O295 Stock Adjustment (Write-Off)
- Cost Accountant – O300 Stock Adjustment (Add)
- Cost Accountant – O315 Periodic Stock Check
- Cost Accountant – O320 Stock Reclassification
- Cost Accountant – P020 Project Handover to Project Stage In Progress
- Cost Accountant – P030 Project Amendment
- Cost Accountant – O310 Cycle Counting (daily)
- FX Coordinator – F110 Entering Exchange Rates On a Project
- FX Coordinator – F190 Exchange Rate Adjustments On Purchase Orders (CPD Only)
- General Ledger Manager – F300 Payroll
- General Ledger Manager – F390 Month End Close
- General Ledger Manager – F395 Year End Close
- General Ledger Manager – F460 VAT Process
- General Ledger Manager – F220 Receive Customer Payment
- View Limited
- Normally less than 10% travel. For specific projects, travel needs could be higher.
Howden - 11 months ago