Located in Gardena, CA, our client provides electronic manufacturing solutions (EMS) to multiple industries including aerospace, defense and surveillance, avionics, medical, and precision industrial controls. Our company offers a challenging and rewarding environment with a tremendous opportunity for career growth.
The Cost Accountant position is responsible for the ongoing analysis of standard cost variances, target costing projects, margin analysis and cost tracing activities.
Additionally, s/he will construct and monitor data accumulation systems needed to provide an appropriate level of costing information and analysis to management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Construct data accumulation systems to determine costs of business activity
related to raw material purchases, inventory (work in process (WIP) and finished
goods) and labor.
2. Analyze data collected, provide recommendations and accurately record results.
3. Create and review the controls needed for data accumulation and reporting systems.
1. Coordinate physical inventory counts and cycle counts.
2. Investigate cycle counting variances and resolve issues.
3. Update standard costs in bills of materials.
4. Review standard and actual costs for inaccuracies.
5. Validate the cost of goods sold as part of the month-end close.
6. Reconcile any and all differences in raw materials, WIP and finished goods.
7. Accumulate and apply overhead costs as required by generally accepted accounting principles.
8. Work with the materials review board to locate and dispose of obsolete inventory.
Analysis & Reporting
1. Trace costs back to underlying activities to ensure accurate record keeping and controls.
2. Conduct ongoing process constraint analyses.
3. Report on breakeven points by products, work centers and customers.
4. Report on margin by product and customer.
5. Report on periodic variances and their causes, focusing in particular on spending variances.
6. Analyze capital budgeting requests.
7. Perform cost accumulation tasks as a member of the target costing group.
8. Support operational groups in various analysis efforts, including preparation for quarterly business review meetings, board meetings, new business opportunity review meetings and so on.
9. Accurately prepare daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports as required.
Education and/or Experience
- Five or more years of accounting/finance experience, or five or more years experience in cost accounting and analysis in a company which utilizes job costing allocation methods in its manufacturing system.
- Knowledge of LIFO, FIFO, and standard costing systems and the appropriate usage of each in an electronics-manufacturing environment.
- Experience working with manufacturing personnel on development and analysis of cost standards.
- A BA/BS degree, as well as excellent analysis skills, and the ability to collaborate with a multi-department team. Also helpful to have experience manipulating large databases.
- CPA degree desirable.
The Zamzow Group - 2 years ago