The MLB Network Job Description
Position Title: Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
Position Reports To: Senior Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Position Summary: T he MLB Network seeks a Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs with strong knowledge and understanding of legal and business issues related to media, and strong negotiation and drafting skills. The Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs, will handle a variety of matters including confidentiality agreements, service agreements, software development/licensing agreements, certain talent agreements, certain affiliate distribution agreements, rights acquisition agreements, third party clearances and general contract matters across multiple platforms.
It is expected that the Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs will maintain and increase knowledge in media law as well as the business on an ongoing basis.
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of agreements and assist with the administration and counseling of various departments on transactional and legal matters.
- Oversee administration and compliance with standards and practices for day-to-day production related matters including analyzing, identifying and resolving any business or legal issues in creative content.
- Track and summarize various agreement terms.
- Advise various departments on interpretations of specific contract terms.
- General contract review.
- Support senior attorneys, as needed.
Skills & Experience : The ideal candidate must have most if not all of the following skills and experiences:
- A minimum of two years legal experience in a media and/or entertainment transactional environment either in-house or with a law firm is required.
- Extensive knowledge of contract, intellectual property, and general corporate law is required.
- Experience and understanding of the legal and business aspects of the television and program production industries is preferred.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding drafting, analytical, and negotiating skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with individuals and groups both internally and externally.
- Be extremely well organized, self-motivated, and demonstrate initiative and an ability to complete multiple assignments in an efficient, and timely manner.
- Demonstrated success in building internal and external relationships.
- Individual must work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- The ability to effectively take on leadership roles in various functions is required.
- A solid work ethic, resourceful nature, unquestionable integrity, and eagerness to take on new challenges in a demanding, fast paced environment.
- Utilize Word, and Excel.
Education: Bachelor’s and J.D. are required.
Major League Baseball - 12 months ago
It may be the national pastime, but Major League Baseball (MLB) is also a big business. MLB oversees the game of professional baseball in...