Provides screening, assessment, crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, and support services to clients. Screens and assesses the medical, psychosocial and environmental status of clients, and coordinates and monitors referral of clients to clinical and other resources and services. Assists in developing counseling programs and interventions and provides related training for staff.
This position works directly with clients who consist of inmates incarcerated in the Travis County Jail.
This is the first in a series of two counselor-related job classifications within the Social Services job family. This classification is responsible for assessing the medical, psychosocial and environmental status of clients, coordinating referral to resources and services, and conducting related counseling programs. This classification is distinguished from the higher level class which typically attends to the more complex cases, develops counseling programs and related training, and may function in a lead capacity. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts a medical, psychosocial and environmental assessment of clients through personal interviews, observation and other methods to determine clinical and other resources and services required.
- Conducts individual and group counseling related to mental and behavioral problems, substance abuse, personal and other problems. Provides crisis intervention services for clients. Identifies clients in at-risk situations and seeks treatment solutions and alternative environmental surroundings.
- Assists in developing treatment and intervention programs and recommending service plans for clients. Presents potential diagnosis based on established criteria. Coordinates referral of clients to clinical and other resources and services and monitors client progress. Resolves obstacles to service delivery.
- Maintains primary responsibility for coordinating client services provided by clinical and social service professionals and community outreach service providers. Initiates and sustains ongoing advocacy for client. Manages a client caseload.
- Assists in administering, scoring and interpreting sociological, psychological and vocational tests.
- Prepares progress reports of client treatment, documents interviews, observations and evaluations for case file. Maintains statistical reports of treatment and service provisions.
- Monitors mental health and environmental adjustment.
- Assists in planning, developing and conducting training sessions for staff and volunteers.
- Serves as liaison with advocacy groups, clinical and other service providers, community outreach services and law enforcement personnel.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioral Sciences or a directly related field AND two (2) years experience in counseling/social services or criminal justice work;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Master's degree in Counseling, Social Work, Psychology or a directly related field.
Crisis and trauma counseling experience.
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW).
Licensed Marriage and Family Counselor (LMFT)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Procedures for assessing medical, psychosocial and environmental status of clients.
- Counseling and crisis stabilization techniques and resources.
- Policies, practices, procedures and standards within area of assignment.
- Advocacy groups, clinical and other service providers and community outreach services.
- Principles and procedures of case file documentation.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Counseling and providing crisis and other assistance to clients.
- Screening and assessing the medical, psychosocial and environmental status of clients.
- Determining types of counseling, social service provider and other services indicated for clients.
- Obtaining information from clients and other sources.
- Developing treatment and intervention programs and recommending service plans for clients.
- Conducting training sessions.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Apply counseling theory, practice and procedures.
- Develop client advocacy programs.
- Work efficiently, both independently and as a team member.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, community outreach and other organizations, clinical service providers, law enforcement personnel and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, driving, client/customer contact, and squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: Shift work, flexible schedule
Hours can vary from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Location: 500 W. 10th Street, Austin, Texas and/or 3614 Bill Price Road, Del Valle, Texas
Drug & Alcohol Test Required
Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required
Our values guide the culture and shape the way we service our customers. They are at the core of who we are as an agency, what we believe...