The position is primarily responsible for managing the internal credit staff and related workflows as well as implementing and maintaining departmental credit procedures in support of the Credit Union’s Business Banking credit effort. The incumbent may recommend adjustments in underwriting criteria and is accountable for the entire credit granting process, including the consistent application of credit policy, structured credit reviews of existing customers, and the assessment of the creditworthiness of potential customers. Work with Relationship Managers to monitor, maintain and develop credit relationships as part of a cohesive team effort. Provide guidance to Relationship Managers and credit analysts in the structuring and maintenance of credit and borrowing relationships, including underwriting, credit quality, reporting of problem loans, completing in-depth reviews of financial statements and receiving all required documentation. Develop a thorough understanding of the trends, competition, communities and businesses in our market. He/she will have a level of credit authority commensurate with their experience and education.
• Effectively decision credit requests and renewals and present to appropriate approving body
• Manage, develop, motivate, and recognize a competent staff to achieve the current and future Credit Business Banking needs of ESL
• Monitor the credit quality of the business lending portfolio and take timely action as needed
• Adhere to all policies, procedures and regulations
• Effective interaction with credit analysts, relationship managers, senior management and clients and prospects.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business related field. Master’s degree preferred
• Proper credit training or equivalent experience
• Minimum 10 years underwriting experience
• Thorough knowledge of the industry, including in-depth understanding of commercial lending and credit risk management
• Superior teamwork, organization and communication skills are essential
• Strong decision-making, sales, communications, sales management, negotiations, business development and interpersonal skills
• Minimum 10+ years in a Business or Commercial banking underwriting environment
• Prior management experience required