The purpose of this position is to identify, collect and preserve evidence to assist in solving criminal investigations. This is accomplished by processing crime scenes and fingerprint evidence. Other duties may include testifying in court, providing educational opportunities and departmental support and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.|
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
• Processes crime scenes by taking photographs, dusting for fingerprints, collecting, preserving and logging physical evidence, completing crime scene and evidence reports, and packaging and inventorying evidence.
• Identifying latent prints by conducting searches on latent prints utilizing the Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) and the FBI’s Integrated Automated Identification System (IAFIS).
• Processes evidence by performing presumptive laboratory tests, analyses, classifications, comparisons, and identifications of all types of physical evidence from crime scenes and completes and distributes lab reports for each request received.
• Testifies in court by consulting with court personnel concerning testimony, responding to requests for specific evidentiary information and testifying under oath on crime scenes processed for specific cases.
• Provides educational opportunities by conducting training classes for police officers on crime scenes, teaching classes at police academies and providing public safety education at public schools.
• Provides departmental support by maintaining files and records, preparing detailed reports to ensure proper chain of custody, and assisting other organizations and agencies that do not have crime scene investigative units.
Texas Municipal League - 22 months ago