Business Unit: Crop Nutrients, Ames IA
Reports To: Regional Sales Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Accountable for fertilizer sales and services to licensed dealers in an assigned area of customer accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following.
General Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Maintains select customer base (2-3 customers):
- Solicits orders for fertilizer products; provides services and support to customers.
- Quotes prices and credit terms.
- Enters and maintains all Sales in computer.
- Investigates and resolves customer issues within transportation and accounting.
- Filters and provides market information and direction to customers.
- Daily reviews & analyzes long positions for these select owners.
- Works with owners on other possible offerings which may include but not be limited to Grower Alignment, paper trading, Performance & Value Brand marketing, general marketing for select customers, etc.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations tactfully; Responds promptly to customer needs; Speaks clearly and precisely; Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Keeps and follows through on commitments; Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
Self-Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Makes timely decisions and includes appropriate people as necessary; Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of and analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions; Aligns work with strategic goals; Adapts to changes, delays, or unexpected events.
Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
Organizational Support - Supports organization's goals and values; Follows policies and procedures; Works within approved budget; Contributes to profits and revenue; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time to meet requirements and deadlines.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university with two to three years related experience; or, Ag Associate's degree (A.A.) with four to five years related experience; or, equivalent combination of education and work experience .
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of or the ability to obtain working knowledge of Internet software; Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook; and sales order entry.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as MSDS sheets and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or other sales representative of organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Current driver's license.
Other Skills, Abilities, and Qualifications: Must be able to travel 20%-50% of the time or as needed; Overnight travel may be required periodically. May be required to spend 2-3 days/week within customer offices, with the balance of time in the US/Ames office.
Physical Demands : The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to write and drive, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit and occasionally required to stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus; the employee is often required to sit and drive for long periods of time. Must be able to tolerate and endure long working hours during peak busy seasons and maintain alertness.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions while traveling in assigned area. Conditions in the office environment are quiet to moderate.