Library, Allied Health, Vocational Education & Athletics
Contra Costa College
Last Day to Apply: March 29, 2013 by 5:00 p.m.
JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
Contra Costa College, located in San Pablo, California is accepting applications for a full-time, tenure track Culinary Arts Instructor.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE
(FIRST YEAR FACULTY)
$54,576 to $82,128 depending on education and experience
Note: A collective bargaining agreement exists and membership in United Faculty or payment of a service fee is required.
BENEFITS Membership in State Teachers Retirement System (STRS)
District-paid benefits (employee contributes 6%) for employee and dependents/domestic partners include:
EMPLOYMENT BEGINS Fall 2013 (mid-August)
- Medical (Health Net or Kaiser) insurance including chiropractic
- Dental and vision
- Flexible spending (125) plan
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Deferred compensation (403b and 457)
- Sabbatical Leave
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This is a full-time tenure track academic position. The teaching assignment will include classroom instruction, both lecture and lab. This position is typically assigned 20 lecture hours/week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To provide classroom instruction in accordance with approved course outlines.
2. Participate in the development and revision of curriculum.
3. Participate on department, division and college-wide committees.
4. Participate in professional development activities.
5. Maintain current knowledge in the subject matter area and effective teaching/learning strategies.
6. Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
7. Oversee the preparation of meals for various culinary department dining outlets and
8. Inform students about the course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance
requirements, and their academic progress in the courses taught.
9. Maintain necessary attendance and scholastic records and submit them according to
10. Prepare and grade class assignments and examinations, reporting results to students in a timely manner.
11. Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with the prevailing policy.
12. Participate in faculty discussion of curriculum, teaching-learning techniques, and teaching materials.
13. Liaison with department chairman regarding budget and production quantities.
14. Follow all OSHA and Contra Costa Health Department Laws.
The applicant must possess one of the following qualifications (earned degrees must be from an accredited college/university):
1. A valid lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential in the subject of food, food service and related technologies OR
2. Bachelor’s degree and five years professional experience as Chef de Cuisine or Executive Chef in a reputable fine dining establishment OR
3. Associate of Arts degree and eight years professional experience as Chef de Cuisine or Executive Chef in a reputable fine dining establishment OR
4. The equivalent. (If you are applying for equivalency, please complete the equivalency form at the end of the job application.)
1. Ability and willingness to modify personal teaching style based on current research in effective teaching strategies.
2. Ability to lead and willingness to support program improvement through collaborative assessment of student learning, staff development, and curriculum development.
3. Ability and willingness to integrate new technology (computers, culinary software, distance learning, etc.) into the curriculum.
4. Demonstrated commitment to student learning and to the success of all students in an open-access learning environment.
5. Experience, training or expertise in dealing with the learning difficulties of students in basic skills classes.
6. Ability to connect personally with students and to build a classroom environment that supports students emotionally as well as intellectually.
7. Demonstrated ability to teach across functions and disciplines (daily lecture, front of house service and kitchen lab instruction).
8. Demonstrated ability to guide culinary students through actual service periods in the department’s student operated restaurant and catered functions, as part of a daily curriculum.
9. Ability and willingness to work productively with a diverse group of colleagues in committees, the Culinary Arts Department, and the college.
10. Demonstrated sensitivity to, and ability to work with, diverse racial, ethnic, gender, disabled and cultural populations; and a commitment to working on institutional reforms that deal with student access and diversity issues.
11. Ability and willingness to modify personal teaching style based on current research in effective teaching strategies.
12. Ability to lead and willingness to support program improvement through collaborative assessment of student learning, staff development, and curriculum development.
13. Ability and willingness to integrate new technology (computers, mathematics software, distance learning, etc.) into the curriculum.
14. Knowledge of Garde Manger and Buffet Catering.
15. Honors or awards in the culinary arts field.
1. Applications will be screened to ensure the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
2. A committee will screen the Supplemental Job Information Questionnaire and rate the applicant on desirable qualifications.
3. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and possess the highest rating of desired job-related qualifications will be invited to the college at their own expense for aninterview and teaching demonstration. Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of April 8, 2013. Such an interview is a prerequisite to employment.
4. After completion of the above three steps, up to five (5) applicants will be invited to return for an interview with the College President or designee. Final interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of April 22, 2013.
5. The College President will make the final recommendation to the Governing Board of the Contra Costa Community College District.
COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKET MUST BE RECEIVED BY:
Last day to apply: March 29, 2013 by 5:00 p.m.
Vice President’s Office
Contra Costa College
2600 Mission Bell Drive
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 235-7800 ext. 4217
NO FAXED OR E-MAILED MATERIALS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
A complete application packet consists of:
The submission of a complete application packet is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Contra Costa Community College District Application for Employment – Academic[Applications, supplemental job information questionnaires, and information may be obtained at www.4cd.edu, “Career Opportunities,” or by calling (510) 235-7800 ext 1162.]
- Supplemental Questionnaire Answers
- Copy of college transcript(s) for screening purposes
- Equivalency form (found at the end of the application) and supporting documentation (if qualifying under #4 of Minimum Qualifications)
Incomplete or late packets will not be accepted.
Contra Costa College is a dynamic comprehensive community college with a diverse student population. The institution has served the communities of West Contra Costa County for more than 60 years. Most of the 7,000-plus students who attend the college come from local communities, but many also come from neighboring communities and from countries throughout the world. The college offers certificates and degree programs in 70 areas. It prepares students for immediate employment and for transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Faculty and staff are proud to be affiliated with an institution that has a tradition of excellence and a reputation of educating students to live and work in a diverse global environment.
Reasons why this position is attractive…
The Contra Costa Community College District is a Drug-Free work place. The District verifies that all new employees are either U.S. citizens or aliens authorized to work in the U.S., in conformance with the 1986 Immigration and Control Act.
- Is in an excellent recruiting area and district
- Contra Costa College promotes a diverse working environment with quality faculty and staff
- Encourages student academic success through the Academic Skills Center, Early Alert program, grade checks, and academic counseling
- Contra Costa College is continuing to build its tradition of excellence in its academic programs, leading to a high student transfer rate and the success of its students in their four-year college and university experiences
- Our Academic and Classified Senates are active in the effective shared governance process of the college
Potential employees should be aware that smoking is prohibited in many areas of the District facilities.
THE CONTRA COSTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
In conformance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests for reasonable accommodation may be made to:
Director of Business Services (510) 235-7800, ext. 4209
To view full job description and apply, visit: http://www.4cd.edu/career/fulltime_faculty/Culinary%20Arts%20Instructor.pdf
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Contra Costa Community College District - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard