Provides assistance in all nutrition services functions as directed/instructed by the Nutrition Services Manager or designee in accordance with the center’s standards and procedures, federal state and local standards, guidelines and regulations. Assists in providing the resident with nourishing, attractive, well balanced meals and pleasant dining experience. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
1. Assists with preparing and serving meals, snacks and nourishments, in accordance with sanitary regulations, as well as Extendicare standards and procedures.
2. Makes only authorized substitutions to menus, snacks or nourishments.
3. Serves meals that are palatable, appetizing in appearance, garnished and at proper temperature, on a timely basis.
4. Serves food in accordance with established portion control procedures, adhering to extended menus for specific diets.
5. Serves food from steam table and/or transports food delivery carts to the resident areas.
6. Honors resident/patient food likes/dislikes per diet card.
7. Ensures that food and supplies for the next day’s production are readily available. Completes pre-preparations as required.
8. Assists in maintaining all work/storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times. Moves stock and equipment as necessary to complete daily cleaning duties as assigned. Signs off cleaning schedule.
9. Maintains records such as production records as directed by Nutrition Services Manager and Culinary Services Manager.
11. Keeps work areas clean, dry land free of hazards. Sweeps and mops floors as directed. Transports garbage to designated receptacle. Performs ware-washing duties as assigned.
- Knows and follows center rules.
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs to supervisor immediately.
- Follows center-smoking policies.
- Reports any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate center personnel.
- Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Center Disaster Plan.
- Uses required safety and personal protective equipment.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
12. Maintains temperature logs etc. and reports malfunctioning equipment and improper measures immediately to supervisor.
13. Follows all Nutrition Services standards and procedures.
14. Follows times activity schedule.
15. Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare’s Corporate Compliance Program.
16. Attends and participates in in-service classes, performance improvement committees, and other meetings as assigned.
17. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
18. Assist in orientation and training of new employees as assigned.
19. Resident Rights:
- Knows Residents Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
- Reports resident/patient complaints to management.
- Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
- Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
- Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks (applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid).
- Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee
Assists with preparation and portioning food for meal service.
Assists in food preparation for special meals, parties, as directed.
Participates and assists in departmental studies and projects as directed.
Works with the center’s dietitian to implement recommended changes.
Performs other duties as assigned by center management.
Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the Employer. The Employer retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Education : High school diploma preferred.
Experience : Prior experience working in food service, health care or long-term care environment desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities : Meets all health requirements imposed by law. Ability to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Able to read, write, speak and understand English. Ability to withstand sudden temperature changes from the heat of the kitchen to the cold of the freezer. Ability to taste and smell food to determine quality and palatability.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
If you can hear yourself saying one of the following:
"Helping People Live Better."
"Revolutionizing Post-Acute Therapy."
A challenging and exciting career at Extendicare, ProStep or VCPI awaits you. We value our customers and our teams who care for them. We are enthusiastic about helping others by providing quality care, rehabilitation and IT services. If you are interested in a rewarding career, passionate staff, and a diverse team apply
- 2 years ago - save job
Extendicare Health Services, Inc. (EHSI) prides itself on helping people live better, by providing comprehensive nursing, therapeutic and...