Coordinates daily activities of the custodial staff and work site clients in efforts to maintain a clean, sanitary and secure environment in County facilities. Provides supervision of custodial staff and worksite clients to ensure appropriate levels of work performance. Actively participates in management functions as a key member of the FSS management team. Assists with project management, coordination and assistance in the planning and implementation phases of county or department projects. Performs a broad range of custodial duties as necessary.
1. Schedules and assigns work orders to utilize custodial staff in the most effective and efficient manner to meet facility needs. Takes an active role as team participant and performs a wide range of custodial duties as necessary. Develops work order scheduling system for routine and non-routine work (i.e. carpet cleaning, floor care, etc.)
2. Monitors and reviews work performance of custodial staff and work site clients on a continuing basis and documents work performance in an appropriate manner. Participates in employee selection process. Provides coaching, conducts performance appraisals and takes appropriate corrective/disciplinary actions as necessary and reports the same to the Facility & Support Services Operations Manager. Administers collective bargaining agreement as it relates to custodial staff. Acts to resolve employee complaints at the first step of the grievance procedure.
3. Responsible for all security issues after hours with regards to scheduled and non-scheduled activity including securing buildings and accommodating meetings and building access.
4. Incumbent is a member of the Facility and Support Services management team. Actively participates in the development of department strategic and tactical planning including setting goals, objectives, master planning and priorities. Assists in development and implementation of departmental policy and procedures.
5. Develops and maintains computerized floor tracking system that allows for organized monitoring and time/expenditure evaluation of all hard and soft floor reconditioning projects. Presents same for quarterly budget reporting.
6. Develops cleaning procedures and trains employees/work site clients to ensure proper use of cleaning solvents and equipment. Conducts periodic staff meetings to promote the use of effective safety and security methods.
7. Gathers required documentation to ensure materials are properly documented in MSDS system to meet Federal regulations for entire department. Reviews, updates and distributes every six months.
8. Ensures prescribed access control and security procedures are followed by Custodial Workers/Client Workers to maintain safety and security of facilities during and after custodial care.
9. Develops and maintains computerized system to track inventory and supply expenditures. Ensures supplies are stocked and accessible for staff. Meets with product/equipment vendors as required to gather information, develop specifications and order custodial supplies; submit recommendations to the Facility & Support Services Director for approval and requisition as necessary. Presents expenditure and usage data for quarterly budget reporting.
10. Develops and maintains a preventative maintenance system for all cleaning equipment. Repairs equipment when necessary; notifies Maintenance department for repairs beyond scope/ability in a timely manner.
11. Monitors expenditures in supplies, equipment and overtime usage to ensure budgetary compliance. Assists in preparation of annual custodial services budget. Plans for major equipment purchases and future years operating budget as necessary.
12. Oversees custodial worksite program in conjunction with the program coordinator(s). Evaluates client worker program to ensure productivity expectations and program parameters are met. Responsible for ensuring program supervision meets department requirements. Documents and communicates issues and concerns to the program coordinator(s) and the Facility & Support Services Management Team.
13. Provides courteous and tactful response to inquiries/complaints regarding custodial activities. Informs the Facility & Support Services Director of inquiries and action(s) taken.
14. Performs other job-related duties as necessary or assigned.
Standards For Initial Consideration:
High School diploma or GED required. Post high school technical or vocational training in building maintenance is required. Associates degree preferred.
Minimum of six (6) years of progressive responsibility in custodial service experience is required. Two (2) years of experience in a supervisory capacity is required.
Must possess a valid Driver's License and pass an entrance background investigation.
Ability to establish effective working relationships with supervisor, subordinates, all levels of County staff, vendors and outside contractors.
Demonstrated ability to utilize personal computers and various software applications including but not limited to; electronic spreadsheet, word processing, calendar/scheduling programs and department specific software packages.
Ability to utilize effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
Knowledge of and ability to operate institutional cleaning equipment such as: extractors, buffers, vacuum, burnisher, auto scrubbers, upholstery cleaners, wet/dry vacuum, carpet cleaners and power tools.
Ability to supervise and review the work of others and provide feedback to improve/maintain appropriate levels of work performance.
Ability to interpret and administer safety and security policies and procedures, including hazard communication.
Ability to exemplify, by his or her actions, the County's PRIDE philosophy.
Successful candidate will be required to pass a post offer physical exam and background investigation.
Scott County, Iowa - 14 months ago