The Custodian II will provide routine housekeeping duties in an assigned area. The Custodian II is responsible for maintenance of flooring throughout the residential colleges including buffing, stripping, and sealing of hard surfaces and shampooing of carpets. The Custodian II also assists with movement of furniture and minor maintenance assignments. This individual may lock and unlock assigned buildings and secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, reports any unauthorized occupants, and turn off lights. The Custodian II turns in work order requests to the supervisor daily.
No formal education
Floor work training.
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
Other Skills Required
- Must be able to speak, read, and write English.
- Must have a general knowledge of housekeeping operations as well as the use of general housekeeping equipment (mops, wringers, vacuums, etc).
- Must be proficient in the use of large commercial buffers.
High School diploma or equivalent.
- One year previous custodial/housekeeping experience.
- Custodial/housekeeping experience in a college/university setting preferred.
Other Skills Preferred
- Knowledge of the standard methods, practices, tools, and equipment used to clean buildings and furniture.
- Ability to identify stains and use proper chemicals for
- Ability to use carpet extracting and high pressure washing equipment.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team with others; work effectively in and around the public; maintain cooperative working relationships; demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, a diverse population.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions.
Must be able to lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs several times each day. Requires walking or standing up to 8 hours per day. Other physical requirements of the job include bending/crouching/or kneeling, lifting, seeing, reaching, climbing, and balancing.
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards)
Work Environment: Primarily an indoor work environment in a variety of university settings which may include offices, food serveries, and residential facilities. May be exposed to temperature extremes in facilities that are not climate controlled. Work Hazards: Some work may occur at heightened elevations on ladders or scaffolding, or in wet areas. Possible exposure to toxic and caustic chemicals. Work with some heavy cleaning equipment such as buffers, sanders, etc. Work Schedule: May be required to work on holidays, weekends, and during emergencies as needed. Overtime is required weekly in May through August. This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.
$9.70 - $10.48
Eligible for Overtime
Basic weekly work schedule will vary, but standard work week is 40 hours per week. The specific days of the week will be determined and can include weekends. Must be flexible.
Eligible for Shift Differential
Not Shift Differential Eligible
You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League of...