"Why choose Penn Medicine?
As a professional, you are seeking to join one of the nation's leading academic medical centers, servicing patients from all over the world. Penn Medicine believes that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees! Our campus' offer tobacco free environments and our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. Employees who certify that they do not use tobacco products are eligible to receive an Earned Premium Discount on the cost of their medical benefits. Penn Medicine has been awarded several national healthcare quality awards and we seek employees who are engaged and excited about our mission of continued service excellence and ongoing professional development.
We believe that your life will be enriched should you become a Penn Medicine employee and we thank you for your interest in our organization."
The Customer Service Representative provides callers with referrals to physicians and services within Penn Medicine. Registers clients for classes, health screenings and seminars. Verifies patient appointments. Assists patients with scheduling appointments via phone or internet requests. Partners with the Penn Medicine Emergency Departments as well as the Department of Medicine to assist in-patients with follow-up appointments. Assists with Physician to Physician Consult calls as well as Penn Global Medicine calls.
1. Answers telephone calls for all Penn Medicine Referral Service Lines to provide information and access to Penn Medicine owned and affiliated physicians, program services, educational seminars and resources to all callers.
2. Records all appropriate information in e-centaurus Software. If a call is recorded on hard copy, the CSR enters it into the computer system before the end of the shift.
3. Gathers information from caller using skills designed to elicit information for an appropriate, efficient response to requests.
4. Assesses callers needs accurately through telephone conversation. Provides appropriate, age specific, Penn Medicine resources.
5. Performs searches in the e-centaurus Software, and utilizes other resource materials to provide a list of appropriate physicians/services for the caller.
6. Assists in maintaining all protocols and schedules for call management and for clinical departments.
7. Registers callers for seminars and classes within the e-centaurus Software.
8. Provides prompt response to Physician Line calls and advocates for the physician to facilitate response to requests with expediency and proficiency. Pages physicians and other health care professionals as needed to facilitate communication and appointments.
9. Maintains, organizes and keeps current with information relative to Penn Medicine.
10. Monitors all Penn Medicine Service Lines when appropriate for customer service and appointment data within the guidelines outlined by departmental protocols.
11. Actively participates in the planning, development, implementation, monitoring and improvement of the Contact Center’s functions such as:
a. Maintains database by continuous dialogue with the Manager and data base clerk as changes and additions become necessary.
b. Assists in interviewing and training all new Referral Services staff.
c. Assists Contact Center Manager in designated projects.
d. Makes recommendations to improve software systems and customer service.
e. Assists in the development and maintenance of both routine and emergency protocols.
12. Maintains current and working knowledge of managed care and other insurance information pertaining to contractual participation with Penn Medicine.
13. Confirms with caller insurance coverage. Distinguishes Penn Medicine/UOP/Penn Care employees.
14. Follows strict medical – legal aspects of making referral and outbound calls.
15. Follows customer service guidelines with all callers.
16. Meets departmental productivity and process improvement objectives.
High school diploma or GED required.
• Customer Service experience strongly preferred
• Previous experience within Penn Medicine is preferred
• Previous work in health care setting is preferred
• Ability to work quickly while making accurate decisions
• Pleasing telephone voice and manner, good diction, acceptable grammar, good spelling
• Medical terminology is strongly preferred
• Managed care knowledge preferred
• Experience with telephone consoles, computers and public contact is preferred
"At Penn Medicine, you will enjoy the camaraderie and support that you will experience at our prestigious institution. As a recipient of the Philadelphia Business journal's healthiest employer award, we continue our commitment to help our employees maintain healthy lifestyles. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest pre paid tuition assistance programs in the region.
Your Life is Worth Penn Medicine
University of Pennsylvania Health System - 17 months ago
The University of Pennsylvania was founded by Benjamin Franklin when he had a little down time between establishing a country and...