As the first municipal consumer protection agency in the country, the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) has ensured that businesses and consumers benefit from a fair and vibrant marketplace for over 40 years. Today, DCA regulates 55 industries and licenses and inspects almost 80,000 businesses throughout the five boroughs. The Department enforces the City’s landmark Consumer Protection Law and related City and State laws; mediates thousands of consumer complaints; and prosecutes law-breaking businesses through our Administrative Tribunal.
DCA is committed to educating, empowering, and protecting consumers; holding businesses to high standards of marketplace behavior; and achieving excellence in the delivery of innovative agency programs and services. As a small agency with a big mission, every staff member at DCA plays a critical role in ensuring success.
Under supervision, responsibilities will include:
• Reviewing applications for required documents & acceptance of payments for licensing fees;
• Providing high-volume customer service to licensing applicants;
• Researching database (CAMIS/NYCSERV);
• Interacting with the public;
• Attending seminars and/or meetings;
• Liaising with other City Agencies;
• Answering telephone calls;
• Ensuring policies and procedures are followed;
• Assisting other Units when needed;
• Performing other clerical tasks as necessary;
• Additionally, assignments will include work in the Special Applications Unit as well as other units as required.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. High school graduation or equivalent and three years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to duties described above; or
2. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above.
• Computer literate (MS Word, Excel & Outlook);
• Detail oriented;
• Profession demeanor;
• Strong oral and communication skills;
• Fluency in a language in addition to English a plus;
• Respectful and professional demeanor in diverse contexts.
Click 'Apply Now'
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
NO PHONE CALLS, FAXES, E-MAILS OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
DCA and The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
9 AM to 5 PM
42 Broadway, New York, NY
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
NYC Careers - 18 months ago
SOCAPS is a craftsmen cooperative that provides industrial customers (machinery builders, wholesalers, or end-users) in several industries -...