The Customer Service Representative performs public relations and moderately complex clerical and accounting work involving the research and processing of accounts for tax permits, licenses, utility services, or cashiering in the Finance and Accounting Division and Citywide.
Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or GED equivalent and a minimum of one year of recent public contact experience resolving various levels of customer concerns both on the phone and in person. Must have experience in doing accounts receivable billing.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
A valid driver’s license with no major driving citations in the last 39 months may be required.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Accounts receivable billing procedures manually and on the computer.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Computerized billing systems including specialized software applications.
Microsoft Windows Office products.
Follow complex oral and written instructions.
Make mathematical calculations to figure problems with customer billing or fees.
Achieve a shared commitment to quality in everyday work and to continuous learning and improvement.
Provide thoughtful and thorough analysis.
Effectively and courteously communicate with the public, both verbally and in writing, often under stressful circumstances.
Tactfully deal with irate customers.
Explain, verbally and in writing, technical information concerning City ordinances, policies and procedures.
Seek out innovative ways to streamline and improve processes.
Proficiently access and input information on several computer screens.
Listen and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
Finance & Accounting Assignment:
computerized system for water, sewer and sanitation.
- Sets up, maintains, and bills residential and commercial accounts on a
- Assists residential and commercial customers with questions on their accounts.
- Computes customer bills and makes billing adjustments.
- Identifies and contacts businesses that have not obtained proper licensing.
- Reviews and analyzes error/exception reports, making necessary corrections.
- Monitors billing and payment information.
- Prepares routine correspondence to customers concerning their accounts.
- Prepares bills, statements, door hangers, and turn-off notices.
Supports other staff members and is a team player by helping out other personnel
- Assists customers in person and on the telephone.
- Performs as a team player that works effectively with City staff and citizens.
with their job duties.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
telephone, 10-key calculator, copy and fax machine requiring continuous and
- Most work is performed in a normal City office environment.
- Lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer terminal,
repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
City of Scottsdale - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard