Reports to the Customer Service Manager; in the absent of the Customer Service Manger reports to the Assistant Customer Service Manager. Responsible for assisting citizens with general inquiries in person and on the phone; receives and accounts for water, sewer, building permits, building inspections and other revenue collections. This position requires friendly, courteous service and interaction with the public. Must be able to resolve complaints and possibly defuse tense situations and give successful resolutions to problems presented.
Examples of Duties:
1. Receives and processes commercial and residential deposits for all City related permits, utility service, water payments, impact fees and other miscellaneous fees and charges as needed.
2. Assists Manager and Assistant Manager with the daily operations of utility billing by providing administrative assistance, oversee special projects, report workflow and identify and resolving problems.
3. Processes required documents to issue permits that have been approved. Reviews, accepts and processes permit applications and documents, assesses permitting fees, provides receipts for fees paid, provides change, reconciles and closes out cash drawer daily.
4. Enters data to track information on permits, plan review, building inspections, code enforcement and health inspections for commercial and residential permits.
5. Assists applicants with forms and technical questions related to building permit process.
6. Tracks projects from initial application through issuance of Certificate of Occupancy.
7. Researches building code questions for contractors, developers, staff and public.
8. Provide notifications of code revisions to builders, contractors, developers, engineers and architects.
9. Provide technical assistance and training to staff in the use of computer software and databases
10. Notifies customers of monies due and expired registrations.
11. Receives and writes inspection requests made in person or taken from telephone recording.
12. Receives and processes contractor and subcontractor registration forms.
13. Performs general clerical duties including, but not limited to: typing, filing, 10-key, data entry, money collection, and record keeping.
14. Maintains and updates department records and files; records and files daily inspection tickets; calls utility services for releases.
15. Prepared graphs, charts, and spreadsheets for reports.
16. Processes cash collections. Responsible for the security of money.
17. Balances cash drawer and prepared bank deposits.
18. Balances and updates payment postings with General Ledger.
19. Process bank notifications on returned checks.
20. Accepts credit card payments.
21. Extensive customer contact which includes answering telephone calls, greeting visitors, and assisting individuals at counter. Must be able to answer questions and provide general assistance with problems, concerns, and inquiries regarding accounts, payments, etc.
22. Responds to questions/complaints, researches problems and initiates problem resolutions.
23. Assists in resolving issues that may resolve angry or irate customers.
24. Responds to requests for public information in accordance with the Texas Public Information Act.
25. Proofs meter readings for accuracy, updates billings, prints and mails water bills.
26. Maintains all customer accounts, updates account information on computer, setup accounts.
27. Prepare monthly reports/correspondence relating to alcohol permits, health permits and building permits.
28. Researches customer problems, issues letters of credit for customers.
29. Sends weekly activity report to Customer Service Manager.
30. Loads and unloads handheld meter readings and performs random audit on readings.
31. Dispatches radio messages to mobile units.
32. Monitor inventory and order office supplies.
33. Adheres to departmental, personnel, and safety policies and procedures.
34. Informs supervisor of all work activities. Updates supervisor with issues regarding billing, permitting, fees, or other issues as they arise.
35. Assists other departments and co-workers as needed.
36. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Must have a general working knowledge of computer operations (data entry), accounting for money, bookkeeping, and general office practices and procedures. Must have excellent English grammar, bilingual skills preferred. Must have excellent speed and accuracy in the operation of 10-key calculator, excellent English communicative skills, both oral and written. Must have personal computer operation skills to include Microsoft Word and Excel, and data entry and typing skills with speed and accuracy. Experience with in-code is a plus. Excellent mathematical skills are required. May be required to move various boxed documents weighing up to 50 pounds with the use of a dolly for assistance. High school diploma or General Equivalency Degree (GED) equivalent is required; supplemented by one (1) or more years of previous experience and/or training in customer service and/or routine accounting functions; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Experience handling city permits and/or being a Certified Permit Clerk by the International Code Council is preferred. Experience with utility billing required.
To perform the essential functions of the job, must be able to bend, stoop, and kneel to perform filing; able to see, talk, hear, write, and have good hand/eye coordination for data entry and 10-key operations. Must be able to follow oral and written directives; work effectively and efficiently with distraught or upset customers; maintain a pleasant personality at all times; and work well under pressure and stress.
City of Murphy - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard