Performs Information Technology customer support work that is moderately complex in nature. Provides first-level and second-level desktop support on-site as well as through remote applications. Implements, evaluates and facilitates usage of new client technologies. Performs basic network administration and troubleshooting of communication problems as they affect the user environment. Monitors and troubleshoots local area networks (LANs). May provide technical support to other Information Technology staff or customers. May act as a team lead when working the Call Center or handling special projects.
This is the third in a series of four customer support-related job classifications within the Information Technology job family. Conducts moderately complex first- and second-level desktop support on-site as well as through remote applications. Executes basic network administration and troubleshooting of communication problems and implements, evaluates and facilitates usage of new client technologies. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides remote desktop support and assistance, using applications such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manger. Remotely installs, re-installs, configures or instructs the user over the phone and using the technician's desktop.
- Conducts first-level troubleshooting of LAN issues, escalating problems to senior Information Technology support, as required.
- Creates, resets and deletes user profiles. Assists users with access or login problems.
- Works the Call Center, logging calls, providing first- and second-level technical assistance to users and other Information Technology technicians. Documents call problems and resolution.
- Installs, configures and deploys new software packages, upgrades new desktop hardware for Information Technology users' desktops, laptops and printers.
- Initiates preventative maintenance work and/or diagnostics on computers and peripherals within a department.
- Works with varied versions of client technologies, installing and testing across many different platforms. Assists in determination of technology requirements.
- Provides warranty and vendor support. Assists in the evaluation of vendor products in hardware, software, and telecommunications equipment. Monitors local area networks (LANs).
- May act as a team lead when working the Call Center or handling special projects. May provide technical support to other Information Technology staff or customers. Participates in the deployment of new computer equipment and the relocation of County offices and corresponding Information Technology equipment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or a directly related field AND three (3) years of related work experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), or A+Certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Information technology hardware, software and peripherals as related to assigned function.
- Network operating systems, desktop operating systems, user applications and system integration.
- Software and hardware (desktops, notebooks, printers and peripherals) installation, testing and deployment.
- Job setup and scheduling procedures and maintaining a tape library and supply inventory.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations and communicating technical issues in non-technical language.
- Work efficiently both independently and as part of a team.
- Perform moderately complex software and hardware diagnostics and troubleshooting.
- Work independently with limited supervision and direction.
- Demonstrate strong customer services skills.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-40 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to exposure to variations in extreme heat, cold, mechanical, fume/odor, and dust/mites.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday through Friday
Works some holidays, nights & weekends
Location: 700 Lavaca Street, Austin
Department: Information Technology Services
Criminal & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 14 months ago