Under general direction, communicates with clients and international shipping carriers to obtain necessary information to prepare and maintain confidentiality, customs clearance entries to US Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security, and other US government agencies and coordinate delivery of shipments. Sets up billing, maintains client and customer relationships and enters into agreements with clients in a sales role.
• Represents clients, client corporations and UniGroup Worldwide to US Customs and other government agencies with full power of attorney to enter goods into US Territory.
• Acts under the authority of and on behalf of the licensed customs broker with senior government officials related to customs entries and requirements of other US government agencies
• Reviews all documents provided for accuracy and collects all documents required to present a true and complete report, for example commercial invoices, HHG inventories, 3299, 7501, 3461 power of attorney, reviews appeals of Customs determinations etc.
• Ensure proper classification of cargo within the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.
• Coordinate cargo forwarding on import shipments as required.
• Sell customs and bond services to prospective clients as required
• Brief clients on government compliance issues and 19CFR
• Applies for, negotiates and collects draw backs for clients
• Interaction with internal and external clients, providing high level of customer care.
• Ability to solve problems with cargo inspections, cargo routing, bills of lading issues and product classifications.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Associates Degree.
• Two or more years of direct customs brokerage experience.
• Knowledge of Customs automated systems relating to processing customs entries (ABI, AES, ISF, AMS, ACE).
• Experience and knowledge of Harmonized Tariff Schedule and Schedule B.
• Computer skills (mainframe systems, email, Microsoft word processing, internet and web-based applications) to create, access, ensure compliance and process entries in a timely manner.
• Ability to resolve problems in a professional and tactful manner.
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree in international business, international logistics or accounting.
• Certified by the National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association as a Certified Customs Specialist (CCS).
• All UGWW Customs Entry Specialists must complete the requirements to be a Certified Customs Specialist within 24 months. One or more years of transportation and freight forwarding experience.