The Database Administrator I position is responsibility for improving the quality and productivity of TDS Telecom's information system development and utilization by evaluating, implementing, and supporting database-related technologies.
- Working with the ADM Management team and staff and technical support, and other TDS DBA staff, provide Oracle database consultation and technical support for the TDS Telecom Information Systems.
- Create and maintain internally developed facilities and automated extensions to the database capabilities.
- Maintain database security and integrity controls.
- Work closely with business application support teams to perform database tuning, reorganization and expansion. This will include monitoring day-to-day operations of TDS Telecom environments, perform startup, shutdown, backup and recovery. Provide metrics on database capacity and performance.
- Provides 24 X 7 level 2 database on call support.
- Create and maintains necessary scripts to automate and improve his/her duties. Utilize TDS Telecom's standard tool set. (e.g. OEM, etc.) to create and maintain data models and data dictionary and provide proactive ongoing database monitoring.
PROCESS AND STANDARDS
- Assist in the development of company-wide standards, procedures, and facilities.
- Create and maintain database-related standards, procedures, and technical documentation.
- Identify database related training needs. Assist in the development of database-related courses.
- Participates actively in the change management process to ensure that the impact of all system software changes and all application system changes on production databases is understood and does not degrade performance.
- Under supervision, provides advice and counsel on cost/performance implications of electronic record retention decisions and standards.
- Work actively with project teams in the design, installation and enhancement of the Oracle database. Review logical and physical data designs in medium to large sized database changes.
- Provide for and facilitate database logical and physical design reviews. Perform final database design quality assurance reviews prior to implementation of new databases or database design changes.
- Install, test, and implement database related and vendor software products, product releases and fixes including new releases of database software.
- Support application testing of and implementation of new software releases.
- Develops, tests and installs production scheduled jobs using database utilities to manage ongoing maintenance, record deletion and database re-organization to ensure the ongoing efficient operation of databases.
- Use individual strengths in providing a positive and qualitative contribution to the success of TDS Telecom business units, database administration team, and I.S. Contribute in team and organizational activities, provide regular communication of productivity, and perform other responsibilities as conditions warrant.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) OR 4+ years of professional work experience.
- 2+ years of systems development, technical support, or database administration experience.
- 2+ years' experience with UNIX/Linux or any combination.
- 2+ years Oracle database experience.
- Strong technical aptitude, database analysis and design aptitude, and creative skills. Solid working knowledge of operating system (OS390/Unix/Linux or Windows), Oracle, SQL, PL-SQL and development tools.
- Analytical problem solver.
- Solid work ethic and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and sustain heavy workloads.
- Accepts accountability and committed to follow through with activities. Provide regular feedback, take ownership, and exercise diligence and integrity in work activities.
- Able to work both independently and cooperatively on team assignments.
- Professional interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with Clients and information systems professionals. Able to produce clear, professionally-written communications and documentation
As a part of your total compensation, TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have. Here is a sample of what we have to offer for full-time employees.
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance - Eligible Immediately
Paid Time Off:
Vacation, Personal Time, Sick Time, and Holidays
401K - Eligible Immediately, Pension and Flexible Spending Accounts
Education Assistance, Telephone and Internet Concessions
Employment at TDS is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. EEO/AAP Employer.