This position is responsible for managing and supporting LCEC’s Database systems. Secondarily, this position is responsible for analyzing, planning, designing, documenting, testing, implementing, and supporting LCEC’s software applications. This position ensures that there is 24-hour/day, 7- day/week support for database and applications software. The duties and responsibilities delineated below are not all-inclusive for this job. They may change to align with new business needs with little notice.
• Translate LCEC’s mission into actionable team tasks.
• Instill team members with LCEC’s core values.
• Provide excellent customer service.
Team Member Responsibilities:
• Tune production databases for optimal availability and performance.
• Work with System Administrators to manage database growth.
• Create and manage database functions to include database startup/shutdown, granting of privileges, applications usage, software development, database refreshes, backup/recovery, and security auditing.
• Provide technical direction to developers for software application design, development, problem analysis, problem determination and problem resolution, for both purchased off-the shelf software and in-house developed software.
• Provide relational database modeling and design, screen design, user interface design, and report design. Must be able to provide technical assistance and training to database and development staff.
• Perform database upgrades and apply patches to resolve issues and maintain support.
• Implement, maintain, and support all middleware software, including job scheduling and messaging queues.
• Create and maintain technical system, database, and application documentation.
• Analyze database products and tools, and recommend methods for efficiently deploying those products in a risk-free, secure, production environment.
• Maintain effective working relationships with employees and customers at all levels within LCEC. Ensure smooth operations, productive communications, and effective understanding during all interpersonal contacts. Provide current and accurate information to all requesters, courteously and in a timely manner.
Provide level-2 technical application & database support
• Assist level-1 technical support as needed.
• Develop a level-1 technical support knowledgebase for common technical tasks and place this knowledgebase within the application.
• Support wiki.
• Open technical-based service requests with either the Level-3 support entity or the application manufacturer.
• Determine when it is best to escalate a service request to LCEC IT Leadership.
• Update tickets on a weekly basis and top 10% of tickets on a daily basis with current status.
• Understand the vendor’s roadmap for the solution to help ensure LCEC runs on supported version.
• Establish an IT roadmap for the application for a rolling 5 year period.
• Understand where the industry is going as it relates to the business problem being solved by the application.
• Be the go-to person and expert in the application.
• Document deployment procedure and place into Application Support wiki.
• Responsible for the deployment of all code to TEST and PROD environments per the deployment process.
• Ensure the deployment process is followed and raise any exceptions to the IT Leadership. Only an IT Leader can approve a deployment process to be by-passed.
• Ensure all code deployed to PROD is the exact same code that was tested in QA.
• Ensure all deployments to TEST are approved by QA or an IT Leader.
• Ensure all deployments to PROD are approved by an IT Leader.
• Create a monitoring plan for the application, including; OS, storage, application performance, server up/down, CPU, RAM, etc.
• Communicate the monitoring plan to the Infrastructure Team or monitoring administrator for implementation.
• Periodically test monitoring and reporting of this testing via metrics.
• Define procedures to follow in the event a monitor event is fired, including escalation and corrective actions by fellow team members and IT Operations.
• Create and periodically review an application playbook to be used by IT Operations, including jobs to be should kickoff, what they should do if the job fails, how to kick off the job, and how to monitor the job. This also includes any pre-requisites required to be done before the job is kicked off; any automated process or procedure should be included.
Application & Database Support Documentation
• Participate in all process improvement documentation efforts if the application is a participant in the process.
• Create technical requirement documentation in support of changes to an application and/or custom development, as required.
• Document all technical procedures related to the application in the SharePoint Application Support wiki.
• Periodically review and update these procedures.
• Document all systems which participate in the application’s solution in a Visio diagram for all environments. Place this document into the Application Support wiki.
• Document all interfaces and services interacting with the application and place into the Application Support wiki.
• Document all custom code within the application and place information into the Application Support wiki.
• Identify all data that is retained by the application.
• Work with the Data Architect to establish a plan to archive data per the Data Retention Policy.
• Implement a solution to comply with the Data Retention Policy.
• Work with the Business Analyst to establish a Service Level Agreement for the Application, up time and expected time to conduct various normal functions, such as building out new environments, backups, changes, etc.
• Establish a weekly and monthly metrics which shows the SLA compliance.
Cost of Solution (Licensing & Infrastructure)
• Identify all components used to support the application solution.
• Document all licenses used for each component.
• Understand the licensing costs associated with each application on a per environment basis.
• Understand the hardware costs associated with each application on a per environment basis (these costs will come from Infrastructure Team).
Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
• Create and periodically review plan for business continuity and DR as it relates to the application.
• Work with Infrastructure Team to establish a DR test plan on a periodic basis as approved by IT Leadership.
• Place all related documentation into the Application Support wiki with links to the IT DR wiki.
Team Communications & Project Support
• Attend project team meetings.
• Attend team meetings called by your supervisor.
• Communicate effectively via emails with team members.
• Communicate all ticket-based work via the ticket system and not via email for historical purposes.
Installation & Patching
• Install assigned applications into all environments (PROD, TST, DEV). Some DEV installations may be conducted by the Development Team as needed for proof of concept or development.
• Review all application patching from the vendors.
• Create a regularly scheduled patch plan per application.
• Work with the Business Analysts to establish the patching plan with the business users.
Backup & Restoration Assurance
• Create a Backup Plan: The creation of requirements for the backing up of applications and their databases.
• Estimate storage requirements for backups to comply with the backup plan.
• Periodically test the restoration process of a backup to ensure the quality of the back-up is adequate
• The actual backing up and restoration of data and files is not the responsibility of the Application Administrator.
• Ensure LCEC’s security policies are adhered to within the application and working with the IT Security team.
• Provide technical level and system administration level of access to the application.
• Identify any security threats or breaches to the IT Security team.
• Provide user authentication reports to IT Security team when requested.
Training & Events
• Identify and request training required to be proficient in the role of application administration.
• Identify and request to attend events related to the application and/or other application solutions which may be candidates for the application roadmap.
The following responsibilities are divided by these two operating system technologies:
Microsoft Windows-Based Applications
• Work with Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012.
• Work with Microsoft SQL 2008R2 and Windows SQL 2012
• Work with T-SQL
• Understand batch scripting using Windows scripting tools
• Understand the role of Microsoft Active Directory and security paradigms
• Knowledge/understanding of WebLogic and IIS helpful
• Knowledge/understanding of Projects 2010 helpful
• Knowledge/understanding of Windows databases helpful
• Work with Microsoft Windows and MS SQL Server failover clustering
• Work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
• Work with Oracle PL/SQL and/or Oracle SQL and MySQL
• Understand basic Linux commands
• Knowledge/understanding of Web Logic helpful
• Knowledge/understanding of Projects 2010 helpful
• Work with Oracle Database 10g, 11g, and 12c
• Work with Oracle grid infrastructure and RAC
Database Administrator I (ET6)
• B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or relevant field of study plus 2 years of Database Administration experience or 6 years of MS SQL SERVER Database Administration experience or 4 years of Oracle Database Administration experience.
• 2+ years experience in Information Technology, with at least two (2) years supporting and maintaining relational databases
• 2+ years experience as a production Oracle RDBMS or MS SQL Server DBA
• 2+ years designing, planning and implementing computer applications based on relational database systems (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server)
• 1+ years experience with application server (e.g. WebLogic, IIS, WebSphere, TomCat)
• 1+ years experience installing & supporting operating systems (Linux, Windows)
• 1+ years experience writing database scripts (PL/SQL, T-SQL)
• 1+ years experience writing OS scripts (Korn shell, Windows command scripts, Windows Power Shell)
• Exhibits the following skills:
o Good time management
o Good sense of priorities
o Business acumen
o Problem solving & trouble-shooting
o Applying process management concepts
o Good organizational skills
o Relationship management
Database Administrator II (ET7)
• B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or relevant field of study plus 4 years of Database Administration experience or 8 years of MS SQL Server Database Administration experience or 6 years of Oracle Database Administration experience.
• 4+ years’ experience in Information Technology, with at least three (3) years supporting and maintaining relational databases
• 4+ years’ experience as a production Oracle RDBMS or MS SQL Server DBA
• 4+ years designing, planning and implementing computer applications based on relational database systems (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server)
• 2+ years’ experience with application server (e.g. WebLogic, IIS, WebSphere, TomCat)
• 2+ years’ experience installing & supporting operating systems (Linux, Windows)
• 2+ years’ experience writing database scripts (PL/SQL, T-SQL)
• 2+ years’ experience writing OS scripts (Korn shell, Windows command scripts, Windows Power Shell).
SR Database Administrator (ET8)
• B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or relevant field of study plus 6 years of Database Administration experience or 10 years of SQL Server Database Administration experience or 8 years of Oracle Database Administration experience.
• 5+ years experience in Information Technology, with at least three (3) years supporting and maintaining relational databases
• 5+ years experience as a production Oracle RDBMS or MS SQL Server DBA
• 5+ years designing, planning and implementing computer applications based on relational database systems (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server)
• 3+ years’ experience with application server (e.g. WebLogic, IIS, WebSphere, TomCat)
• 3+ years’ experience installing & supporting operating systems (Linux, Windows)
• 3+ years’ experience writing database scripts (PL/SQL, T-SQL)
• 3+ years’ experience writing OS scripts (Korn shell, Windows command scripts, Windows Power Shell).
• 1+ years experience creating and supporting Oracle DataGuard configurations
• 1+ years experience with Quest monitoring tools
• SQL Server Failover Clustering or Oracle RAC / Grid Infrastructure experience
• Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) certification or Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert: Data Platform certification.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
• Physical Demands: May be required to sit for extended periods of time at a desk/computer terminal. Able to view computer monitor from a reasonable distance. May be required to lift up to 25 pounds on occasion.
• Work Environment: Air-Conditioned office, computer room.
Please note that at the time a candidate is made a job offer, the candidate will be subject to a drug test which will include screening for tobacco and background check.
Established in 1940, LCEC is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving a five-county area in Southwest Florida. Learn more...