Primarily responsible for the management, development, training and motivation of the design team while maintaining a high level of customer contact and achieving sales goals. Actively coach design associates to raise professionalism of the design services. Partner with each associate to manage design projects, customer contacts and relationships, sales volume, design consultant effectiveness and overall customer satisfaction. Hold design associates accountable to attain goals.
- Follow operational policies and procedures to ensure fiscal control, security of company assets, inventory management and design center safety. Ensure that all policies are communicated to staff and posted as required.
- Supervise the functions of Visual Merchandiser position to ensure brand projection is consistent with policy guidelines.
- Supervise functions of Soft Goods Specialists to ensure continued growth and profitability of the soft goods business.
- Evaluate and provide direction for associate performance in accordance with company policy. Provide constructive feedback to all associates including daily interaction and timely completion of annual performance reviews.
- Work with District Design Manager and/or human resources to consistently implement disciplinary action and performance management in accordance with company guidelines.
- Ensure adherence to all company policies such as Code of Conduct policies, workplace harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and/or retaliation.
- Maintain a locked and confidential personnel file on all employees.
- Effectively manage customer contacts and relationships to improve customer service, build sales volume, improve designer effectiveness, and increase overall customer satisfaction.
- Manage the design associates to increase the overall performance of the Design Center/Studio.
- Maintain clear lines of communication with the District Design Manager on sales, performance issues and customer service.
- Accountable to achieve sales goals through the development, training and coaching of all associates.
- Responsible for the recruitment and hiring of all associates within the design center.
- Evaluate design consultants performance using such tools as the Designer Performance System. Create action plans as necessary to support performance improvement.
- Foster a team environment that expedites the closing of design projects.
- Create and nurture a positive team environment that contributes to staff retention.
- Participate in all design projects, including interacting with customers, to ensure the customers design needs are achieved.
- Maintain a system to monitor the status of all open and pending design projects. Review appointments and closing strategies.
- Utilize corporate systems, technology and training to maximize efficiency in designing projects, creating presentations and providing professional service.
- Conduct group and one-on-one strategy meetings with all design associates and create timely action plans as necessary.
- Remain current on design and color trends to create fashionable design solutions.
- Represent Ethan Allen, at all times and under any circumstances, in a professional and appropriate manner.
- Perform any other duties as required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will usually work in an office environment or travel via automobile to various customer homes. The noise level is minimal and there may be some exposure to dust.
Education/Experience: A minimum of ten years, combined, practical interior design experience and interior design education, two or four year degree, from an accredited institution and eligible for CQRID or NCIDQ certification. Proven sales background in residential interior design. Broad knowledge of interior design and effective sales techniques. Supervisory experience required.
Required to work some holidays and weekends.
An entrepreneurial attitude and approach with strong communication and organizational skills. This position requires team leadership and the ability to manage the design process including the ability to review and provide feedback on design projects using technical and creative skills in color and space planning. Demonstrated ability to practice residential interior design. Ability to train and coach for design, product knowledge, sales performance and customer service. Must be able to work holidays, evenings and weekends. Must possess valid drivers license with a good driving record and provide own transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Significant portions of this assignment involve prolonged sitting with occasional standing, bending or walking and application of manual skills requiring motor coordination in combination with finger dexterity. May be required lift or move objects up to 50 pounds.