U.S.High school diploma/GED. Must read, write and be able to communicate fluently in the English Language. Must be at least 18 years of age, must meet the minimum standards for initial licensure required by TCLEOSE and the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office, must have a current and valid Texas driver's license and proof of liability insurance. Knowledge of: Computer literature, English usage, grammar, punctuation and spelling; techniques for effective interpersonal communications. |
Skill/Ability to: have and maintain high ethical stands; maintain confidentiality of information; establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, read and interpret documents such as department/division policy and procedures manual, inmate rules and regulations; learn to write routine reports and correspondence; add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; observe situations analytically and objectively, and record them clearly and completely; react quickly and calmly in emergencies; complete the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office/Region VIII Training Academy (or equivalent upon approval of the Sheriff), including passing the Detention Officer licensing examination in compliance with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education in a reasonable timeframe. Speak effectively; Pass a background investigation.
- Successfully performs physical and academic curriculum in a classroom/obstacle course setting to learn the duties of a Detention Officer position;
- Commits self to providing excellent customer service and demonstrates commitment through cooperative team and individual efforts; and
- Creates a high quality work culture through participation in and emphasis on training and mentoring to develop leadership, management, and technical skills in self and all employees, including safety related training and skills.
The Detention Officer Trainee works under regular supervision while training in detention officer duties in accordance with the mission, goals and objectives of the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office and in compliance with governing federal, state and local laws.
El Paso County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
There are physical fitness standards which are a requirement for this position. The Physical Fitness Test to start the academy consist of the following:
• Vertical Leap - 14" minimum
• Pushups - 22 minimum
• Sit ups - 27 minimum (60 seconds)
• 300 meter dash - 73 seconds
• 1.5 mile run - 17 minutes, 30 seconds
*It is highly recommended all candidates for Detention Officer Trainee practice and prepare for these physical fitness requirements. Failure to meet these requirements will result in a disqualification from being a candidate for this position.
County of El Paso, TX - 6 months ago