POSITION TITLE: Development Director
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Development
The Development Director has responsibility for the development and execution of a strategic plan to maximize the value of the Company's properties in his/her assigned portfolio. The properties may be under development, in the entitlements phase, and/or those requiring the conceptualization of a new redevelopment plan. This individual shall have a proven record of conceiving, entitling, preparing and executing major retail development projects. Experience would ideally be focused on regional mall development and may include large power centers, lifestyle developments or mixed-use projects with significant retail components.
This individual should have experience in processing entitlements on large, complex projects through different levels of governmental agencies. This individual is an accomplished development executive possessing the full range of competencies required to deliver projects from inception to stabilized operations. He/she is a proven leader, with outstanding presentation skills and the ability to gain agreement and commitment of others (both internal and external). This individual will be capable of negotiating major tenant transactions. He/she is fully-versed in financial and business analysis and can integrate regulatory, design, marketing, leasing, and operational variables into sound business propositions. Finally, this individual is an excellent manager and developer of people.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Conceive market and execute development projects of significant complexities.
- Monitor political, regulatory, and competitive environment and devise near-term and long-term strategic plans.
- Gain entitlements for development proposals through governmental agencies, working with community groups, local constituencies, and the media.
- Maintain excellent anchor tenant relationships and negotiate legal documents, letters of intent and leases.
- Directly supervise preparation of financial projections and company proformas
- Provide clear leadership to the multi-disciplinary process of determining program, scope, quality, and design of projects.
- Partner with leasing department to deliver tenant mix and projected rental income.
- From inception to stabilized operation, serve as process and schedule leader for interdisciplinary team, including finance, legal, design, leasing, construction, and operations to ensure business results.
- For each project, accountable for achieving the company's schedule, cost, and profitability objectives.
- Provide direction, supervision, motivation and performance management for Development Managers and Business Analysts (direct reports).
- A minimum of 8-10 years relevant development experience
- University and graduate degrees in relevant field(s) of study
- Strong strategic mindset.
- Excellent communications skills, capable of representing the company in front of the general public, governmental agencies and media.
- Successful track record of gaining entitlements of various complexities through different levels of governmental agencies (preferably in State of California).
- Knowledge of the design, planning, entitlements and construction processes, procedures, scheduling, workflow and an ability to communicate and teach these principles to others.
- Knowledge of the retail industry, needs of retailers, and proven track record of successful lease/acquisitions transactions.
- Must exhibit proven leadership, communication and management skills necessary to bring various company departments together to accomplish company objectives. This includes a proven track record of recruiting and developing professionals at various organizational levels
Jan 11, 2013, 4:36:33 PM
Jan 26, 2013, 2:59:59 AM
Westfield Corporation - 15 months ago
Mallrats nationwide can get their fix thanks to Macerich. The self-administered real estate investment trust (REIT) acquires, develops, and...