The Distribution Center Manager has overall responsibility for the leadership and coordination of all Distribution Center activities and is also responsible for people, equipment and facility.
Nature and Scope
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Distribution Center Manager is responsible for coordinating all shipping, receiving, late point packaging, customer service functions, transportation, inventory control, storage and handling of finished goods. This position is responsible for managing the department budget. The Distribution Center Manager has supervisory responsibility for hourly and salaried distribution personnel.
Specific Job Duties
- Lead the DC Teams to support company objectives in cost, quality, service and safety.
- Cost – manage the DC budget and drive productivity by reducing the volume-adjusted cost to operate year over year.
- Quality – maintain inventory accuracy at 98% through cycle counting. Reduce shipping errors by 10% year over year.
- Service – ship 98% of finished goods material within business team specific shipping window targets.
- Safety – provide a safe working environment as measured by ORIR.
- Provide responsive customer service to all customers, both internal and external. Interact frequently with corporate sales team.
- Establish and maintain an effective system of operation and implementation of written procedures in the form of Standard Operating Procedures, ISO 9001 and Technical Operating Instructions.
- Establish, implement, and maintain effective training programs and safety programs .
- Manage the traffic functions within corporate guidelines including the use of approved carriers, the Transportation Management System and routing guide.
- Support transportation cost reduction initiatives.
- Provide an environment for LeanSigma culture, techniques and principles to flourish within the DC.
- Responsible for the control and repair of all returnable reels.
- Passion for safety - only zero accidents is acceptable
- A results driven individual who has demonstrated ability working in a high performance distribution environment.
- Proven experience in the area of distribution, transportation or materials management.
- Must have good attention to detail, but be able to manage the big picture and have a “make the numbers" mentality.
- Must be able to manage multiple, complex tasks and deal easily with pressure on a day in and day out basis.
- Leadership skills including the ability to motivate, communicate and drive continuous improvement.
- Critical thinker, with excellent analytical abilities.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with corporate support teams i.e, Distribution, Transportation, IT, Inside Sales, Finance, etc.
- High energy, demonstrates urgency and fast pace.
- 5 years distribution center or transportation management experience.
- Experience managing a facility over 250k sq ft and budget over$1mm
- Experience leading teams in a union environment
- Lean Enterprise and/or Six Sigma exposure and certification preferred
BS degree in Business Administration or Logistics
General Cable - 2 years ago