Prior to applying for this position, we recommend you that you watch the Realistic Job Preview video by clicking the following link: http://www.voatx.org/sp-IDD-Staffing-Video. The Realistic Job Preview is designed to present a balanced view of both the rewards and demands of Direct Service Professionals in order to align the goals and expectations of applicants with the requirements of working with IDD clients.
Volunteers of America Texas is a faith-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping the vulnerable reach their full potential.
The Direct Support Professional is a direct-care staff position responsible for the operation, coordination, instruction and supervision of consumers in residential support homes or life enrichment center facilities while ensuring the protection of the individuals' rights. This position is responsible for assisting individual consumers in acquiring and maintaining self-help, socialization, and adaptive skills necessary to reside successfully in home and community-based settings, promoting a safe and healthy living environment and increasing the capabilities of the individual consumer within the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Provides for the complete care of the consumers, including direct supervision of activities of daily living (grooming, eating, bathing, toileting, dressing, and personal hygiene).
- Maintains the facility (group home or day hab space) and equipment in a safe and clean condition and reports repair needs in a timely manner.
- Provides reinforcement of counseling and therapy activities; corrects unacceptable behavior and helps people served meet the necessary requirements of the house and/or program rules.
- Provides assistance with medications and the performance of tasks as delegated by an RN.
- Maintains clinical records and documentation as required by organization policies and procedures such as, but not limited to,documentation of consumer expenditures, significant observation notes, and any behavioral management activities.
- Prepares meals and provides assistance with meal planning and preparation as indicated by individual need.
- Assists in securing and providing transportation; keeps inside of vehicles clean and ensures sufficient gasoline level for next usage.
- Provides housekeeping or assistance with housekeeping as indicated by individual need.
- Provides assistance with ambulation and mobility.
- Makes written reports of significant incidents occurring during shift.
- Provides direct supervision of individuals' safety and security through preventive techniques, including conducting fire drills as required.
- Assists in carrying out the training outlined in behavior management plans or behavior strategies, provides input to individual program planning for people served, and completes required documentation in a timely manner, including supervision of people served in workshop activities.
- Assists in facilitating inclusion in community activities, use of natural supports, social interaction, participation in leisure activities, and development of socially valued behaviors.
- Supervises people served in recreational activities both in and out of residence or life enrichment center.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with consumers, co-workers, families and other agencies.
- Provides habilitation, which could be Day Habilitation at the life enrichment center.
- Assists in program plan development as required by Care Coordinator or supervisor.
- Participates in program plan implementation and provides continuous instruction, supervision, training, encouragement and reinforcement to consumers according to program outlined in plan.
- Participates in review process of individuals' programs.
- Completes documentation of ISP training goals, training reports and other areas of program compliance in a timely manner.
- Advocates for individual consumer rights and reports suspected abuse & neglect to supervisor immediately (within one hour).
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and training as required.
- Advises supervisor or support coordinator of any special needs or emergencies and recommends follow-up.
- Assists supervisor with budget control activities, e.g., conserving resources, reducing utilities cost, avoiding waste, reducing overtime, etc.
- Requires regular attendance and punctuality, i.e., employee must be at the assigned work location (which might vary depending client needs) during the scheduled shift to perform the above essential functions.
- When working in HCS programs, will adhere to the program's Evidentiary Principles.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and must successfully complete any required training and acquire any required certifications within prescribed timeframes. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A reasonable combination of the following is required: knowledge of behavioral patterns and problems of individuals with developmental disabilities. Knowledge of basic homemaking skills; availability of community resources; identification of consumer training needs; development and implementation of training plans; and documentation of care and training; and physical ability to assist or respond to consumer needs in their personal environment.
Tolerance, patience, consistency, flexibility and creativity in dealing with individual consumers and families are strongly preferred and very important to success.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, OR be able to pass a competency exam.
- Prefer six months experience or training with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Valid Texas Drivers License (must be received within 30 days of employment) and ability to be insured; valid Vehicle Liability if driving personal vehicle.
Competitive pay commensurate with experience.
Volunteers of America - Texas offers a comprehensive Benefits Plan: Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, and Paid Time Off (PTO) for full time positions.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today!