Under general direction, is responsible for performing recreational work involving the creation and implementation of one or more recreational activity programs such as organized sports, music, nature, camping, drama, dance or arts and crafts, on a City-wide basis. Collects and analyzes data regarding the recreational needs of the various cultural and economic groups in the metropolitan area to develop and implement a specialized recreation program to fit these needs. Exercises functional supervision over assigned staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops, supervises, and conducts square, folk, ballroom, and other types of dancing for all age groups and serves as a dancing consultant to recreation leaders.
- Plans and conducts a phase of a City-wide aquatic program.
- Plans and conducts City-wide sports programs which lend themselves to league activities such as softball, basketball, volleyball and football for participants of all ages.
- Plans and conducts City-wide programs for adult and senior citizens.
- Acts as a resource person in th given specialty to other Recreation Specialists or leaders and to community civic groups.
- Acts as representative of the Parks and Recreation Department at meetings or conferences involving the supervised specialty.
- Plans, supervises and conducts an arts and crafts program for all age levels.
- Performs purchasing and procurement duties for all instruments, tools or materials necessary for the conduct of a given specialty program.
- Keeps financial and activity records and submits periodic and special reports.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Two (2) years of experience in community center or related activities.
- This position requires a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License or obtain a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License within thirty (30) days after becoming a resident of the State of Texas.
WORK LOCATION :
- Use of your own personal vehicle may at time be required and proof of Liability Insurance will be required.
- At the Department's Discretion, the work location and days/hours may be subject to change.
- Ability to teach beginning to advanced levels to age ranging 4 - adult.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
Any applicant selected for this position must have a background check completed with results satisfactory to the City of San Antonio and successfully complete the City of San Antonio's two-phased Cash-Handling Certification Training.
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 10-15 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of stagecraft techniques.
- Knowledge of design principles, illustration, and painting.
- Knowledge of public information techniques.
- Knowledge of a variety of materials used in art-oriented programs.
- Knowledge of employee management skills.
- Ability to originate ideas and concepts and translate them into visual imagery.
- Ability to effectively utilize employees through evaluation of their community.
- Ability to supervise and direct carpenters, stagehands, electricians and laborers to ensures proper and safe installations.
- Ability to keep accurate and updated records and provide concise reports.
- Ability to keep precise accounting of deposited funds and provide accurate reports on status of funds.
When you "Remember the Alamo," don't forget San Antonio! The second-largest Texas city (behind Houston), with a population...