Note: This is a project position with an expected end date of December 31, 2013.
The Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) is recruiting for a Data Analyst (ITS4). This position supports the data migration from Employment Security Department's 23 year old legacy tax system to the department's Next Generation Tax System (NGTS), currently under development as part of a high-value, high-visibility Information Technology (IT) project. There are over a dozen data sources that need to be reconciled and converted to consolidate tax data in one database. This data is used for the calculation of employer tax rates, which directly impacts unemployment insurance tax revenues. Collection of the employer taxes maintains the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Trust Fund which is used for paying unemployment benefits. This position will be responsible for assisting the NGTS Senior Database Administrator in data conversion, data cleanup and database system support for NGTS project.
- Develop and/or review data conversion specification, data mapping specification for data conversion from legacy systems to Relational database systems.
- Develop and/or review relational data models using Erwin.
- Coordinate with diverse groups within the agency in order to gather data requirements and assess the data quality. Conduct and facilitate meetings to present the problems, identify solutions with both technical staff and business user groups.
- Manage, plan and execute the data cleanup efforts.
- Develop and/or review Extract Transform and Load processes for Populating Operational Data Stores and Online Transaction Processing Databases.
- Lead or participate on projects to support the legacy data conversion and essential data cleanup activities. Design, develop and oversee the implementation of data conversion specifications.
- Working-level writing skills - convey information in writing according to the needs of the audience.
- Awareness-level oral communication skills - convey information orally according to the needs of the audience, and receive and understand spoken information.
- Awareness-level workload management skills - Plan and organize assignments to create timely, accurate work products. Work efficiently, remain focused, and handle interruptions effectively
- Awareness-level research skills – collect, synthesize, and evaluate information.
- Working-level problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write complex queries in RDBMS - SQL SERVER.
- Demonstrated ability to use the following tools – ERWIN, Pervasive data integrator, TOAD for SQL Server/Oracle, SQL Server Management Studio.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze JAD requirements, RDBMS data models, data conversion specifications.
Attach a resume and cover letter to your on-line application (either through the Text Resume / Edit Resume field or the Add Attachment(s) field).
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate ‘how’.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate accepting this position must comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees.
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-725-9400 or
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711.