The University of Rochester is one of the country's top-tier research universities. Our 158 buildings house more than 200 academic majors, more than 2,000 faculty and instructional staff, and some 9,300 students - approximately half of whom are women.
Learning at the University of Rochester is also on a very personal scale. Rochester remains one of the smallest and most collegiate among top research universities, with smaller classes, a low 9:1 student to teacher ratio, and increased interactions with faculty.
Central Admin-Vice Pres & CIO
Full Time 40 hours Grade 077 University IT / DC
University Data Center Operators are responsible for systems operations of the University IT's servers, services and networks, and the safe, secure operation of the 24x7x365 Data Center.
Duties include monitoring, maintaining and executing tasks to established policies and procedures, ensuring that monitoring tool alerts are responded to in a timely manner and proper support personnel is contacted, and appropriate escalations are done as needed.
Operators will take a contributing role during system outage events. The operator will be required to act on the requirements and direction given by the Lead or Senior Operator and provide communications and coordination during such events.
Operators will always work under the supervision of the Lead or Senior operator.
The Operator Position requires excellent communication, customer service and phone skills.
Operators must be able to understand and follow all policies and procedures of Data Center Operations as well as University Security/Safety Procedures.
Basic understanding DCS Operations SharePoint sites, where to find documentation, on call lists, and frequently used documents.
This position is responsible for the operation and maintenance of high end Data Center equipment such as but not limited to: IBM Mainframe, rack mounted servers, Storage Area Networks (SAN), tape drives and printers. Knowledge of IBM z/OS, JES2, TSO, JOBTRAC, Windows, Unix/LINUX, Microsoft Office and Apple Products.
Knowledge and Skills
- Monitor Mainframe batch processing, able to recognize failures, follow ABEND procedures
- Monitor Building Management System, notify Facilities Personnel on duty of any alarms
- Monitor COMMVAULT, follow operations policy for notifying support personnel of problems
- Monitor Uptime 5, follow operations procedures for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Monitor Solar Winds, follow operations procedure for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Monitor AutoSys, follow operations procedure for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Monitor MoveIT, follow operations procedure for job failures on MoveIT
- Monitor IBM Director, follow operations procedure for notifying support personnel of alarms
- Under Supervision of Lead/Senior operator, fill out shift turnover providing detailed information (written & verbal) to turn over to the following shift.
- Under Supervision of Lead/Senior operator, complete Call Logging Tickets (HEAT) with detailed information of any monitoring alarms, job failures, equipment problems, and ACTION calls.
- Under Supervision of Lead/Senior operator, complete AMBER light check of all servers in the Data Center, updating spreadsheet, and sending appropriate notifications to server owners.
- Monitor Internal, External cameras to maintain security of the Facility. Understand and enforce Data Center Access Policies
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- IT aptitude - classes taken, previous work experience
- Customer service experience
- Experience with Microsoft Windows, Office 2010 (we need a nerd)
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Work effectively in a team environment
The ideal candidate will meet or exceed the following:
High School education and 2 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
The University of Rochester is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.
InsideHigherEd.com - 14 months ago
The buzz about the University of Rochester is music to some ears. While the private, upstate New York research university is nationally...