Savvis, which merged with CenturyLink in July 2011, is an outsourcing provider of managed computing and network infrastructure for IT applications. By outsourcing to Savvis, enterprises can focus on their core business while Savvis ensures the quality of their IT infrastructure. Leading IT organizations around the world have selected Savvis to help them improve their service levels, reduce capital expense and deal with the rising costs of bandwidth, energy, real estate, staff and expertise. As a pioneer in utility computing, Savvis understands and harnesses the latest advances in technology such as virtualization, cloud computing and support process automation.
The SAVVIS Data Center Support Technician is responsible for providing 24x7 network and system administration support for internal and external customers while providing exceptional customer service.
Provide internal and external customers with exceptional 24x7 customer service support including billable requests and physical security functions.
- Work directly with the customer and/or Savvis support staff to identify and troubleshoot as necessary to isolate the root cause of problems to include standing, bending and kneeling as needed to perform this task.
- Support and communicate customer billable requests through a trouble ticket system.
- Manage and prepare incoming and outgoing customer tape backups.
- Provide visibility and support to the Facilities team when monitoring the Data Center’s building controls.
- Responsible for the installation and troubleshooting of all copper and fiber customer cross connects.
- Perform and execute installation projects.
- When required, escalate events in a timely manner to the appropriate team according to proper procedures.
- Maintain documentation of network systems infrastructure, cross connects and circuit audits.
- Assist customers with after hours shipping and receiving.
- Perform and execute installation projects that would include the racking and stacking of Savvis and/or customer equipment.
- Lifting of Savvis and/or customer equipment required up to and in excess of 50 pounds. Server lifts can be utilized were applicable.
- Monitor and control access to the Data Center to prevent unauthorized access.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of Layer 3 routing, TCP/IP and BGP.
- Perform Layer 2 & 3 troubleshooting.
- Must have working knowledge of tools such as ping, traceroute and nslookup.
- Experience with the installation and terminating of CAT5e, CAT6, Fiber (Multi & Single Mode) and Coaxial cable.
- Highly effective at troubleshooting Layer 1 issues that are required to support 56K, Metro-E, T-1, DS-3, and Optical circuits.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
- Strong team player.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States . We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. No phone calls, please.
- College preferred not required, 2+ years of operational and technical experience in an IT environment required.
- IT Certifications such as CCNA and MCSE are desired.
SAVVIS Inc. - 2 years ago