The Data Center Technician staffs the Service Operations Center and under general supervision monitors, When appropriate, this position communicates business function status with internal University customers. Under general direction, the Data Center Technician installs, tests and documents computing equipment. As scheduled, this position visits data center sites and confirms operating conditions are within normal tolerances.
Must be able to work flexible schedules and shifts, including weekends, nights, holidays and overtime with appropriate notice. Must be available to be 'on call' on a rotating basis and must be able to be at worksite within 90 minutes. Must respond to emergency situations.
- Monitors Network activity, computing system performance, and facility environmental status from a centralized Service Operation Center (SOC) ensuring high availability and attainment of service levels goals;
- Communicates and escalates incidents, problems, event alarms and service fulfillment requests ensuring quick resolution or hand off to the appropriate support area within posted unit response window;
- Resolves assigned trouble tickets providing operational support via online, telephone and by two-way radio. Promptly closes out completed work tickets to document personal productivity;
- Answers incoming telephone and radio calls to the SOC within posted unit response window;
- Measures and records vital statistics and produced appropriate reports for data center, space, power and cooling systems, including shift and weekly reports and maintain accurate incident change records and logs;
- Provides 'remote hands' assistance as requested by customers;
- Conducts routine walkthroughs of facilities, performing on site environmental inspections, correcting any safety or appearance problems(i.e., open doors) and reporting any deviations from nominal conditions;
- Chaperones vendors, guests and colocation customers as necessary;
- Assists with shipping and receiving;
- Assists, as directed, with project activity including the following: assembling and installing copper cabling; testing and labeling of all cross connects (copper, fiber); moving and installing cabinets and racks; installing hardware such as shelves, power strips, rails, cable management and customer equipment; troubleshoots problems with installation, connectivity and monitor problems;
- Creates and administers clear, concise documentation to reduce the possibility of future problem incidents;
- Monitors, corrects, and reports observed infractions of security policies and procedures to ensure security procedures are followed and enforced;
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
- An associate’s degree from an accredited institution in computer science, telecommunications, or related engineering discipline, or documented military training certification in data communications, telecommunications, power control systems, environmental control systems or network operations or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- Two years of experience in data center operations or network operations in a corporate environment, university or military facilities following standard operating procedures and handling event and alarm response;
- Excellent written and verbal skills;
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds;
- Must be able to sit or stand/walk for shifts up to 12 hours long;
- Must be able to access all parts of the data center safely; climb stairs, walk on rooftops and cat-walks and work on uneven work surfaces and don appropriate personal protective equipment;
- Must be able to climb and work safely on ladders up to 15 feet above floor level;
- Must have a valid Illinois driver's license to allow travel to various site locations up to 50% of work time.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
- Comp TIA A+ Certification, Security+ Certification, and/or Network+ Certification;
- Three years of experience in data center operations or network operations for corporate, university or military facility following standard operating procedures and handling event and alarm response;
- One year of experience with facility power systems maintenance and environmental systems maintenance.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
Date Posted: 2/19/2013
Northwestern University - 17 months ago
What's NU? With its main campus in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Northwestern University (NU) serves its 16,500 students...