As a Data Development Engineer, you will be part of the team responsible for the taming and management of Shutterstock’s vast amount of data. You will be a Big Data ninja, and help create and implement the data strategies that will transform Big Data into usable forms for customers. You will design and build the tools at scale to make data accessible, with a focus on performance and simplicity. Your work will unlock key data metrics, enabling the next generation of features for Shutterstock’s best-in-class image and video search engine that is seen by millions of customers daily.
- Passionate about Big Data, and turning it into usable information for customers.
- Able to work with teams across the company to understand data requirements, and design and build the tools to satisfy them.
- Experience managing huge datasets.
- Experience with creating large scalable applications.
- Working knowledge of Hadoop and HDFS, and one of Hive, Pig, or similar.
- Experience deep diving and solving complex issues in a distributed system.
- Passionate about using data to solve real-world meaningful problems.
- Able to shepherd projects from prototype stage into production.
- Enjoy optimizing system performance of a large distributed system.
- Fluent in at least 1 programming language, preferably Java.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of development experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
- Experience in predictive analysis a plus.
- Open source experience a plus.
- Experience in using data for recommendations/personalization a plus.