Under the direction of the Managing Director, the Data Modeler will employ scientific methods and data-discovery tools to find new patterns, insights and relationships in big data, will extract meaningful information from multiple large data sets, develop solutions that quickly and visually communicate results, act as a subject matter expect in data structure, storage, collaborate closely with IT departments. The Data Modeler will aid in SmartPost’s Business Intelligence goal of “Delivering exception based analytics in the format I need before I know I even need it”.
- Performs both qualitative analysis (e.g., content analysis, phenomenology, hypothesis testing) and quantitative analysis (e.g., clustering regression, pattern recognition, descriptive and inferential statistics) on large data sets to understand trends and relationships between variables to gain predictive insights.
- Suggests recommendations and influences the direction of the business by effectively communicating, verbally or written, to management or cross functional groups.
- Designs and implements experiments to answer targeted questions and solves known issues by actively engaging with business partners to understand and prioritize key business challenges.
- Prioritizes problems so that the team works on the most valuable cases. Leads investigations into multiple streams of data to solve complex business problems.
- Designs and implements reporting dashboards utilizing established data warehouse structures that track and visually communicate key business metrics and provide actionable insights.
- Writes and interprets complex queries to solve business problems. Designs and reviews algorithms based on examples to provide analysis and insights into trends used for predictability. Streamlines and automates existing reporting and analysis inventory, and new project success metrics to exceed FedEx Quality standards through application of Quality Drive Management (QDM) principles and tools.
- Drives the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources. Research, test, recommend, and implement improvements in the tools and techniques used by SmartPost to manage and access data and information.
- Identifies internal and external information sources, builds effective working relationships with subject matter experts within FedEx and the external marketplace.
- Assists with knowledge transfer and training of business intelligence to the SmartPost team as a subject matter expert. Strongly influences the team by developing, institutionalizing and maintaining a data-driven analysis culture.
- Collaborates with IT departments and communicates changes in industry trends and techniques to ensure the team is current with tools, knowledge and methods.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Computational Social Science, Quantitative Finance, Engineering or other related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
Seven (7) years experience required in solving analytics problems using quantitative approaches or related area.
Required Skills - Abilities and/or Licensure:
- Proficient with MS office applications
- Expert level in Business Objects (Webi R3.1 and 4.0 and higher)
- Experience with Business Objects Xcelsius is desired
- Expert level with SQL (Structured Query Language)
- Experience with Teradata and Oracle relational database platforms is desired
- Experience data modeling, ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) concepts, query performance tuning and testing is a plus
- Experience with large datasets, Map-Reduce architecture frameworks such as Pig and Scalding, statistical software such as R, and scripting languages like Python and Ruby is a plus
- Experience with tools such as SAP explorer, SAP HANA, and Spotfire is a plus
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, reports, and related documents
- Ability to effectively present information to management, end users, co-workers, or vendors
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability. Ability to apply concepts such as percentages, ratios, proportions and ranking to create practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Requires strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to perform complex tasks with limited direction.
FedEx SmartPost - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard
FedEx Corporation (FedEx)provides a portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services through companies that compete...