Cisco is always looking to identify talented people, especially Security Analysis Team to work in our Security Technology Group. If you are reading this posting then we may not have an open job for a Data Scientist position in the Security Technology Group right now, however it is highly likely we will in the future. If you are interested in working for Cisco in this capacity then please submit your details and CV or resume against this requisition so that when a suitable vacancy arises a Cisco representative can contact you directly.
The Analysis Team in Cisco’s Security Technology Group (STG), is looking for a results-oriented data scientist to help drive advanced development in our security intelligence operations. This is an exciting opportunity for a skilled professional to apply state-of-the-art, big-data techniques within our cloud infrastructure and work within a very high-demand business area.
As a leading team within Cisco STG, the Analysis Team is responsible for developing new techniques to identify and mitigate network security threats, as well as for assessing the efficacy of those techniques in defending against security threats.
The Data Scientist will apply disciplined analysis to explore and develop new techniques for identifying and mitigating internet security threats (spam, malware, etc.). Deliverables include research proposals, research documents describing a technique and quantitative measures of expected efficacy improvement, prototypes, functional specifications and ad-hoc measurement tools. The successful candidate will be comfortable engaging in healthy debate with team members and developing production-quality code as required. Development will be in a Unix-based environment and will leverage both off-the-shelf/open-source technologies, as well as in-house engineering.
Need to call out cloud infrastructure, big data, graph store, column DB, Hadoop, MapReduce
Required Experience and Skills:
• 5+ years of big-data experience including applied techniques in data mining, machine learning, or graph mining.
• Experience with Hadoop, Hive, MapReduce, or column stores, as well as working with large, unfiltered data sets.
• Experience turning research ideas into actionable designs. Able to persuade stakeholders and champion effective techniques through product development.
• Understanding of network security, including email and/or web threats highly desirable.
• Proficiency with Unix and databases, as well as working knowledge of PERL or Python.
• Advanced degree in a relevant field is desirable.
• Comfortable working in a dynamic, research-oriented group with several ongoing concurrent projects.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as presentation skills.
• Characterize and quantify problems related to spam/malware not detected by existing technologies and new techniques being used to spread them
• Propose techniques to stop malware and spam and how the impact of these techniques should be measured
• Develop functional overviews and function specs summarizing the problem being addressed by a new system and its various components
• Publish research documents documenting the methodology and findings of a research project, including quantitative measures of expected efficacy improvement
• Develop and document prototypes to simulate the behavior of a new technique
• Design and monitor tools to measure a particular problem or the contribution of a particular technique over time
• Work closely with a cross functional team to design new features and resolve issues as they arise
The Customer Comes First” Attitude: Candidate will demonstrate passionate commitment to the customer and to product quality. Champions the product and the customer’s needs and implements a model of continuous improvement in both company goals and project-related task.
Practical, results-oriented focus”: Candidate must possess a keen instinct to discern the ideas likely to have the most measurable benefit to Cisco’s products from the many possible ideas out there and work closely with other members of the development team to execute them.
Cisco Systems - 14 months ago
Are you changing the world? We are.
Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT, is changing the way the world works, lives, plays and learns. Our...