Argus Information and Advisory Services was founded in 1997 and acquired by Verisk Analytics in August 2012. Argus focuses on providing competitive benchmarking, scoring solutions, analytics, and customized services to financial services institutions in North and South America and Europe. Addressing complex challenges in marketing, risk, and strategy, Argus helps clients maximize the value of their businesses. Additionally, we offer M&A advisory services and a suite of product solutions to a client base that includes credit and debit card issuers, retail banks and other consumer financial services providers, payment processors, insurance companies, and other industry stakeholders. The recent acquisition by Verisk Analytics will enhance our platform and provide the opportunity to further grow our business.
Our professionals have substantial industry knowledge, typically greater than fifteen years of experience, in providing solutions to the financial services sector. We are known for our unique ability to blend the highly technical, data-centered aspects of our projects with expert communication and business knowledge.
We maintain offices in New York, San Francisco, and London and employ approximately 150 professionals.
Responsibilities include enhancing our data assets and executing data-related projects with the goal of productizing analytics and information derived from our data.
Work will typically involve examining data to see where value can be created for our clients by linking data sets together and/or mining them for additional information. The ability to quickly understand our business and identify value for clients will be important. After promising areas are identified, work will involve proof-of-concept and implementation. After deployment, ongoing work will involve improving current projects and developing new ones.
We are looking for self-starters who enjoy working with data. Candidates should have a desire to work in financial services and be passionate about finding new ways to extract information from data.
We need 3-7 yrs. experience. Degree in a technical/quantitative discipline and experience with data mining or analytics preferred.
- Programming experience:
- Strong in at least one general purpose programming languages (Python, Java, etc.) and capable of establishing a development environment.
- .Net experience a plus.
- Experience integrating .Net algorithms with MS SQL a plus.
- Database experience:
- Solid SQL ability (any SQL implementation is fine)
- Should understand queries, joins, indexing, and have general SQL troubleshooting skills.
- Big Data experience a plus.
- Data skills:
- Ability to find ways to link data or information across different domains and sources (ex: mashups that rely on data and/or APIs from different domains).
- Clustering and segmenting data, identifying patterns in data. We are interested in skills that involve heuristics as well as ones based on formal approaches.
- Experience taking unstructured or partially structured data, and applying structure to it so that it can be used programmatically.
- General experience extracting information from unstructured data, including strings, is a plus. This can include tools such as regexp, string parsing/matching/information extraction algorithms. Experience processing more sophisticated meaning from text is a plus. (Keywords: Damerau-Levenshtein, soundex, metaphone, natural language processing, named entity recognition, connotation, tone, sentiment, etc.).
- Working with large data sets and designing algorithms to work effectively with them.
Verisk Analytics - 18 months ago