WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION?
Create, alter, and maintain application database structures that meet the needs of the business
Perform database specific application tuning; diagnose and resolve problems
Create and implement physical data standards, procedures and guidelines for use of database managers
Perform research on database and platform features, technologies, and tools, and implement and upgrade products
WHAT KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS ARE NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION?
Knowledge and awareness of database development, or product and database support
Knowledge of application development and networking
Knowledge and awareness of database management systems (DBMS)
Sound problem resolution
Judgment and decision making skills
Organizational and analytical skills
ITEMS OF NOTE
The Oracle DBA team manages approximately 46 Applications at State Farm with some of the more notable ones being 1) Service Manager, 2) Legal Hold, 3) Pension Systems, 4) State Farm Bank Commercial Lending, 5) IT Asset Management , 6) Data Loss Prevention DLP, 7) OpenView, 8) Control-M, 9) Primavera and 10) Filenet Image Services. These applications encompass at least 500 total databases running on 400 servers. We are managing over 15 Terabytes (TB) of database space. Oracle database continues to be an important DBMS at State Farm along with DB2, IMS, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server.
We are looking for positive, proactive, energetic individuals that enjoy working in the Linux environment and have a desire to complete technical tasks and provide excellent customer service at a fast pace. Approximately 5 Data Specialists (internal and external) make up the Oracle DBA Product Support team.
Required knowledge and experience includes:
1. Experience with installation, administration and configuration of Oracle database 11gR1 & 11gR2.
2. Working knowledge of Linux Redhat Operating System (RHEL5 & RHEL6).
3. Working knowledge of UNIX/Linux shell script.
4. Experience with PL-SQL and the SQL language in general.
5. Experience with Oracle Data Guard, STREAM, GoldenGate, and Database Replication concepts.
6. Experience with Oracle RAC and ASM.
7. Knowledge of Oracle database security.
8. Knowledge of database OLTP and OLAP concepts.
9. Experience with Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) Grid Control support and usage.
10. Working knowledge of networks and ability to resolve network connectivity issues.
11. Understanding of testing theory and ability to make recommendations to improve testing process.
12. Broad working knowledge of project methodology development and implementation steps.
13. Broad understanding of technical framework, standards, and guidelines.
14. Broad understanding of the hardware and software used in Oracle database configurations.
15. Proven ability and experience leading others in a technical environment.
16. Proven ability and experience improving work processes and team dynamics.
17. Proven ability negotiating and communicating acceptable solutions to all levels of customers and business partners.
18. Understanding of Storage concepts e.g. SAN and SSD.
BENEFITS: TOTAL REWARDS
Our Total Rewards benefits package includes:
Competitive starting salary
Annual merit reviews
Annual bonus potential
You may also be eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, Vision, 401(k) Plan (Savings & Thrift in Canada), Credit Union, a fully funded retirement pension plan, and more.
To search for more information on careers in the U.S., visit statefarm.com/careers. To search for more information on careers in Canada, visit statefarm.ca/careers.
State Farm Insurance is an equal opportunity employer
State Farm - 2 years ago
State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company® is the largest auto insurer in the U.S. since 1942. About one of every five cars on the...