The Data Warehouse Developer is a member of the Business Intelligence (BI) and Database Administration Team within the Office of Information and Technology Services (OITS). The Data Warehouse Developer reports to the Director of Business Intelligence and Database Administration, works in collaboration with other Business Intelligence and IT staff, and is a member of the team responsible for implementing and delivering business intelligence and data integration solutions to Excelsior College.
The Data Warehouse Developer is a key participant in on-going efforts to build data integration solutions supporting both business intelligence and transactional systems based on a data integration hub architecture. The hub architecture provides operational data stores used by various systems to consume and publish transactional data. It incorporates extraction, transformation, and loading processes to bring data into the hub and to accommodate data exchange between systems and with a data warehouse used for business intelligence.
The Data Warehouse Developer is expected to develop an in-depth understanding of data maintained in various transactional application systems used by Excelsior College (both internally-hosted and cloud-based) and how data from these systems are best organized and integrated to support transactional, reporting, and analytic needs. This position has responsibility for technical design, development, implementation, maintenance, and documentation of data integration processes.
The College’s BI technical environment incorporates an Oracle Enterprise Server 11g data integration hub and data warehouse; Oracle Data Integrator 11g for performing extraction, transformation, and loading of data; a QlikView BI presentation server running on Microsoft Windows Enterprise Server 2008; as well as an Oracle Discoverer reporting environment using desktop clients for report development and a Discoverer BI Server for report delivery. Data Cookbook is employed as a tool for communicating data definitions and promoting data quality and consistency for BI deliverables. BI data sources consist of a custom student information system; a learning management system; CRM systems for prospects, students and alumni; a financial aid management system; and various web and social media activity tracking systems.
No supervisory responsibilities.
- Develop and maintain complex data extraction, transformation, and load processes using Oracle Data Integrator 11g and related development tools (e.g., PL/SQL packages, stored procedures, functions, and materialized views).
- Create and maintain relational and dimensional data structures within the data warehouse and data integration hub to meet functional requirements and optimize performance.
- Develop and maintain data mappings between source and destination data stores.
- Perform system integration testing, develop formal data quality test scripts, facilitate user acceptance testing, and remediate errors and defects.
- Perform complex functional and technical system design activities, which may require extensive research and analysis.
- Execute, monitor, and administer data load, transformation, and extraction processes within the production warehouse environment.
- Maintain a strong understanding of business workflows, processes, and events and how these are captured in transactional systems.
- Develop processes and write code that meets internal and external standards for best practice.
- Analyze, estimate, and coordinate internal and external resources to complete data integration projects and meet deadlines.
- Assist business intelligence developers and business customers in querying data from the data warehouse environment.
- Write technical documentation on data integration structures and processes and business documentation of warehouse terms and definitions in Data Cookbook.
- Enhance professional knowledge and skills by attending conferences and advanced training in required areas of expertise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, systems engineering, database management or related field required.
- At least three years experience writing and troubleshooting complex Oracle SQL queries and PL/SQL code.
- Experience developing SQL code within a data warehouse environment preferred.
- At least one year experience developing data integration processes using an enterprise-level data integration tool, such as Oracle Warehouse Builder.
- Experience with Oracle Data Integrator preferred.
- Strong understanding of relational database systems, data warehousing, dimensional modeling, performance tuning, and related concepts.
- Strong analytical, research and critical thinking skills, and attention to detail.
- Understanding of business concepts, procedures, and practices, especially as related to higher education.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills including the demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines while providing quality customer service and products.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work alternate shifts on an as needed basis.
Excelsior College - 13 months ago
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...