Job Title: Database Administration Specialist
Job ID: 03432
Division : Information Services
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Preferred candidates will have extensive Oracle Database Administration experience supporting application development teams through the development lifecycle. This includes design, capacity planning, security, performance tuning, and problem resolution. Experience supporting a large BI environment is preferred. DBA certification and SQL Server experience is a plus.
Depending on qualifications, candidates can be considered at the lower, Administrator, level.
This position assists in the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of complex, high volume, mission critical databases that require high quality performance and 24x7x365 availability in mainframe and client server implementations. This may include: designing physical data models; developing, promulgating, and promoting physical database design guidelines; establishing, testing, and implementing database designs, back up recovery, performance tuning, capacity planning, security design, and disaster recovery procedures. The position works under the guidance of more experienced technologists, following established procedures and standards.
- Strategies Linked to the Division's Business Goals/Results
- Understands American Family's business environments, corporate culture and structure to support work initiatives.
- Supports and participates in the I/S transformation process including the cultural principles (ethics, integrity, meeting behaviors, teamwork, cooperation, communications, interpersonal relations, supervisory behaviors, contracting, customer focus, quality, risk management, empowerment, and entrepreneurship).
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business environments, corporate culture and structure to support key decision making.
- Collaborative and Team-Based Environment
- Works with others within I/S to ensure optimal service to clients. Shares knowledge and information with others on team to better resolve problems and build client knowledge.
- Works with clients to fully understand their problem / frustrations / concerns with professionalism and empathy.
- Provides expert time, studies, and presentations on products and services within the domain upon request.
- Provides descriptions of products and services proactively to people within I/S and upon request to others outside of I/S.
- Research and Development (R&D)
- Assists in the research and development of new products, as assigned.
- Assists in implementing improvements in the DBMS environment.
- Is developing an awareness of industry trends, and best practices, in technologies, tools, software engineering processes, and I/T applications.
- Physical Database Design, Infrastructure, Implementation and Maintenance
- Partners with clients, consultants and other I/S colleagues to identify database design requirements and service level agreements on small to medium projects. Implements test and production database infrastructure designs based on assigned specifications and in concert with other team members.
- Implements and maintains physical databases under guidance of senior team members. Participates in the physical design of databases under guidance, ensuring that the design optimizes throughput while minimizing the use of physical resources and providing high levels of concurrency and data availability.
- Provides input to architectural planning relative to physical database design. Acts as a technical resource to project teams regarding DBMS architecture.
- Assesses capacity requirements for physical database infrastructures and reviews findings with senior staff.
- Produces and maintains documentation on physical database design and infrastructure.
- Designs DBMS security to protect data integrity under the guidance of senior team members. Provides appropriate documentation for design decisions, estimating assumptions, and performance metrics as required by I/S process standards, or as assigned.
- Database Monitoring, Tuning, Back up and Recovery
- Evaluates the performance of databases to monitor trends, loads and growth patterns against established business requirements.
- Conducts performance tuning under guidance of senior team members, to improve operating efficiency and to correct performance problems as they arise.
- Maintains documentation on database performance.
- Assists in the design of back up and recovery procedures for databases and DBMS infrastructure software.
- Conducts tests to ensure that database back up and recovery procedures meet application requirements.
- Produces and maintains documentation on back up and recovery procedures for databases and DBMS related software.
- Project Management
- May manage, or act as a technical lead, on small to medium projects, holding others accountable to delivery deadlines and quality products.
- Manages own tasks within a work plan, using I/S standard methodology.
- Keeps own portion of work plan up-to-date, adjusting and documenting changes as necessary to meet deliverables and deadlines.
- Recognizes and escalates quality, deadline, or deliverables issues within own work environment to team leads or project managers.
- Assists on projects within the domain that include design, installation, upgrades and maintenance of DBMS software and related tools.
- Participates as a technical resource on DBMS software and related tools for projects lead by other I/S colleagues.
- DBMS and Related Software Installation, Upgrades, and Maintenance
- Executes plans for installations of new products and/or upgrades under the guidance of senior team members. This includes coordinating with clients, consultants, and appropriate I/S domains.
- System Support
- Resolves technical software issues with vendors, as needed.
- Provides Second Level Support to Help Desk.
- Will be on call on a rotating basis 24 x 7.
- Provides expert time to other areas on an as needed basis.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Planning & Organizing
- Self Development
- Technical Expertise
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance - 17 months ago
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...