Under direction, provides high-level technical support for database technologies within areas of expertise. Serve as a Lead Database Administrator and technical expert in the administration, development and maintenance of enterprise database platforms. Align technical database strategies with business requirements and organizational goals. Provide oversight for database systems architecture, software licensing, capacity, performance metrics and the evaluation of databases designs, features, solutions, tools and best practices. Support business, technical, operations and vendor customers. Participate in, plan, coordinate and manage large projects involving multiple technical disciplines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for the DBMS, the installation and administration of the application database,
2. Define database server configuration requirements for the DBMS installation and subsequent administration of the environment and resident application databases. Install DBMS software, including client administration and monitoring tools. Upgrade and apply maintenance in accordance with Software Compliance policy.
3. Serve as the Subject Matter Expert for one or more Database Management Systems.
4. Perform daily administration and production support tasks. Provide 24x7 production on-call support. Participate in business, infrastructure and team projects. Serve as technical lead and Project Manager.
5. Provide for high availability of application databases, meet availability timeframes, deliver requirements on time and perform administration and implementation in support of company business needs and objectives.
6. Consult with and provide database support to internal and external customers. Provide technical support, implementation approaches and database solutions to development, systems, operations, quality assurance, business and vendor teams
7. Provision backup and recovery processes to support local and remote recovery of production databases. Support point in time recovery to specified recovery points. Ensure backup and recovery processes execute efficiently and in accordance with defined priorities and business service levels. Participate in Disaster Recovery exercises.
8. Comply with and support all corporate, department and team policies and procedures. Establish and enforce database administration standards/guidelines, policies/procedures and database security protocol.
9. Consult with Data Architect on modeling issues and process requirements for physical implementation of new databases and changes to existing database structure. Recommend database performance improvements, enhancements and design solutions. Define and implement physical database structure and environment configurations. Coordinate implementation of physical database changes with development and QA teams.
10. Monitor database server and application database performance. Optimize configurations and database performance. Capture and review capacity and performance metrics.
11. Research new technologies, features, tools and best practices. Recommend and implement improvements to existing technologies and methods or propose new ones. Remain informed on significant DBMS developments and trends in the industry.
12. Foster the development of technical knowledge and performance skills of others. Provide active technical support to projects or persons as needed. Provide mentorship and appropriate knowledge sharing as needed. Encourage collaboration and exploit synergies among DBMS applications and services.
13. Perform duties within standardized practices. Keeps manager, project teams and business customers informed of activities and problems within assigned areas of responsibility; refers matters beyond limits of authority to Manager for direction.
Perform other related duties as required or requested.
Apply Online: https://www9.ultirecruit.com/UNI1042/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=1348
- Prior work experience serving as a Lead Database Administrator. Experience in a Property and Casualty Insurance Business is preferred.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible work experience in a major DBMS platform. Windows 2008 Server experience is preferred.
- Proven leadership and project management skills, PMP certification is a plus.
- Successful experience in aligning technical solutions with business needs.
- Experience supporting J2EE applications on a distributed platform.
- Deep knowledge of database configuration and impact daily operations.
- Experience supporting vendor software is required.
- Proven performance tuning, monitoring and analysis skills.
- Must have the ability to anticipate consequences of alternative actions when choosing a solution.
- Proactively addresses issues and continuously seeks improvements.
- Experience handling multiple assignments concurrently in both development and production environments.
- Must have strong communications (verbal and written), organization, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Successful experience in creating and maintaining a positive customer service relationship and understanding customer needs.
- Serves as a role model to guide team members and customers toward desired results.
- Ability to provide instruction, feedback and growth opportunities for team members.
Kemper Corporation’s Property and Casualty Insurance Group is made up of Kemper Preferred and Kemper Specialty, which sell personal lines and commercial auto insurance through a network of independent agents; and Kemper Direct, which sells personal auto and homeowners insurance directly to consumers.
This group represents 73% of Kemper’s $2.5 billion of annual insurance premiums.
Our employees enjoy great Benefits
We value diversity and strive to be an employer of choice.
- Choice of healthcare plans
- Choice of dental plans
- Flexible paid time off program
- Business casual dress
- 401(k) with matching
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
- Employee referral bonuses
- Education assistance
- Certification assistance
- Charitable giving
An Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.
Kemper Corporation - 20 months ago