Candidates must have TS clearance with Poly.
The Database Administrator works with software and
determines ways to organize and store data. Identify
user requirements, set up computer databases, and test
and coordinate modifications to the computer database
systems Ensures the performance of the system,
understands the platform on which the database runs, and
adds new users to the system. Plans and coordinates
security measures -data integrity, backup systems, and
database security. Provides technical assistance to
computer system users. Answers questions or resolve
computer problems for clients in person, via telephone
or from remote location. May provide assistance
concerning the use of computer hardware and software,
including printing, installation, word-processing,
electronic mail, and operating systems. Provides
technical expertise in the use of Database Management
System (DBMS). Evaluates and recommends available DBMS
products to support validated user requirements. Defines
file organization, indexing methods, and security
procedures for specific user applications. Manages the
development of data base projects. Plans and budgets
staff and data base resources. When necessary,
reallocates resources to maximize benefits.
The database manager is also responsible for capacity
planning. Provides support for implementation,
troubleshooting and maintenance of IT systems. Manages
IT system infrastructure and any processes related to
these systems. Provides support to IT systems including:
day-to-day operations, monitoring and problem resolution
for all of the client problems. Provides second level
problem identification, diagnosis and resolution of
problems. Provides support for the dispatch system and
hardware problems and remain involved in the resolution
process. Provides support for the escalation and
communication of status to agency management and
internal customers. Coordinates changes to computer
databases, test and implement the database applying
knowledge of database management systems. Plans,
coordinates, and implements security measures to
safeguard computer databases. Responsible for operations
related to systems management software. Installs and
maintains software monitors and conducts advanced
analysis of output and performance.
planning for the most complex and critical systems.
- Perform server and storage capacity management and
to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the
- Recommend and implement process and tool improvements
organization's change management and configuration
management processes and systems.
production environment to new technology.
- Plan for transition of the development and/or
server performance tuning. Baselines and forecasts
- Recommend and plan server recapitalization. Perform
server performance data and tunes server hardware and
system files; manages system data to maintain
- Utilize system software to monitor the performance of
installation methods and procedures. May provide 24x7
- Study system requirements to determine proper server
object names, data elements, and other objects.
- Provide technical support in the evaluation of prime
concise, technically correct, and that they represent
- Evaluate proposed objects and their attributes.
- Ensure that proposed object definitions are clear,
and hardware operation to resolve problems.
- Answer users' inquiries regarding computer software
verify correct operations and detect errors.
- Enter commands and observe system functioning to
software, and peripheral equipment, following design or
- Install and perform minor repairs to hardware,
ensuring proper installation of cable, operating
- Oversee the daily performance of computer systems.
- Set up equipment for employee use, performing or
systems, and appropriate software.
transactions, problems and remedial action taken, and
- Maintain record of daily data communication
conferences and seminars to maintain knowledge of
- Read trade magazines and technical manuals, or attend
hardware and software.
requirements for new systems or modifications.
- Confer with staff, users, and management to establish
resolve problems and to provide technical assistance and
- Conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and
based upon requirements from Service Level Agreements
- Create and maintain monitor definitions and rules
performance of management of systems according to
- Monitor and conduct advanced analysis of output and
capacity to meet the business requirements.
- Plan and test capacity requirements.
- Ensure that services are provided with sufficient
users in the proper use of hardware or software.
- Develop training materials and procedures, or train
products to vendors or technicians for service.
- Refer major hardware or software problems or defective
recommend improvements or upgrades.
- Prepare evaluations of software or hardware, and
solving, monitoring, and installing data communication
- Supervise and coordinate workers engaged in problem
equipment and software.
delivery to users.
- Inspect equipment and read order sheets to prepare for
- Modify and customize commercial programs for internal
including workflow analysis, space design, or cost
- Conduct office automation feasibility studies,
performance and schedule activities.
- Manage, monitor and administer database system
- Perform optimization and tuning of data loads and
changes and optimizations to ensure and improve system
- Recommend appropriate procedure, query or package
performance and reliability.
associated storage systems.
- Install and configure database environments and
- Perform backups/restores, and archive data.
disks RAID systems
- Desktop computers
- Hard disk arrays — Redundant array of independent
- Hard disk drives — Hard disks
- Notebook computers
- Tape arrays — Tape libraries
Backup and archival software; Systems and data disaster
- Backup or archival software — Acronis Recovery Expert;
recovery software; VERITAS NetBackup
management software; Microsoft SQL Server; Quest
- Data base management system software — Database
Central; Sybase Replication Server, Database models
Basic; Prolog; Restructured extended executor REXX
- Development environment software — C; Microsoft Visual
Modeler; Data modeling software; IBM Rational Data
- Metadata management software — AllFusion ERwin Data
Architect; Visual Paradigm DB Visual ARCHITECT
Microsoft Visual C# .NET; Practical extraction and
- Object or component oriented development software —
reporting language Perl; Sun Microsystems Java; Sybase
This position is contingent on contract award.
Top Secret Clearance with Poly.
Bachelor's Degree preferred
IT Certifications desired.
Concentric Methods - 13 months ago