The Database Administrator (DBA) is the subject matter expert on all database systems operated, used, or maintained by the organization. The (DBA) is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a database and will work directly with other IT staff on the development and testing of new systems and the maintenance of existing systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security.
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses to front-end users.
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database in outline.
- Fully document the essential support and troubleshooting procedures for all production database systems.
- Train other Network Administrators in these essential procedures the minimal support and troubleshooting of all database systems.
- Guidance to Application Developers in creating performance tuned queries and basic understanding in reading a report regarding SQL Optimization (Show Plan).
- Considering both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users.
- Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS.
- Controlling access permissions and privileges.
- Developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans.
- Ensuring that storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning correctly.
- Capacity planning.
- Manage projects and/or resources as required by industry and changing business priorities.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to team members and users.
- Interact with all levels of users including portfolio managers, traders, portfolio compliance , analysts, performance and operations team members, as well as other technologists to gather requirements for new requests or resolve production issues in a timely manner.
- Work independently as well as thrive in a team oriented environment.
- Quickly adapt to changing priorities and new technologies.
- Multi-task varying business initiatives in a fast paced changing environment.
- Stay informed and abreast of new developments within the industry and implement solutions to achieve industry standards.
- Expert-level proficiency with relational database design and SQL programming using MS SQL Server and Oracle.
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Strong knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching. How statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
- Ability to work on multiple projects, manage user expectations and complete work requests within the stated or expected deadlines.
- Ability to train other IT staff in these essential procedures the minimal support and troubleshooting of all database systems.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills including project and resource management.
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for others in the IT staff to follow.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project.
- Proficient in all aspects of software development lifecycle methodologies.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with investment management processes with emphasis on portfolio management, trading, and analytics a plus.
- Bachelor degree required. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics strongly desired. Advanced degrees a plus.
- Additional certifications in investment management e.g. CFA designation) a plus.
- Approx 10+ years of Database Administration experience.
- Approx 8+ years experience in a buy-side investment management firm a plus.
- Experience as a Database Administrator manager or team leader a plus.
- Proficient with Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Working knowledge of Eagle Pace data repository a plus.
- Technical expertise with scheduling software such as Autosys a plus.
- Experience with Toad for Oracle and SQL Management Studio a plus.