Database Administrator, Harmony Information Systems
The database administrator (DBA) is responsible for providing technical support for the database environment including overseeing the administration and organization of the databases, assessment and implementation of new technologies, and providing Information Technology with a long-term perspective on the relationship of database technology to the business opportunities facing the company. It is extremely important to the company that on-line processing database systems offer the highest reliability and performance possible. The DBA is challenged to work with architecture, application development and operations to help achieve a state-of-the-art environment that meets current and future business objectives. Evaluates, provides and designs tools to assist in the management of the database and transaction processing environment. The DBA works to provide a working model of our transaction processing environment for capacity assessment and planning.
The individual develops a methodology for the ongoing assessment of database performance and the identification of problem areas. Develops and manages security scheme for the database environment, as well as assisting in disaster recovery if necessary. Provides leadership during the development and enhancement of production applications including working with applications, technical support and operations during the design, development and implementation of applications. Work with the transaction processing area to develop both the physical and the logical database administration functions and assists in the development of our processing database and computing environments. Work with others in IT to build the logical database area and provide technical guidance during all phases of the development process. Work with vendors in evaluating and implementing new technologies.
- BE or BS Degree in one of the following subject areas: Computer Science, Business Administration, Information Technology or related field preferred
- 3+ years IT operation with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- 3+ years Microsoft SQL Server experience
- Understanding of, and experience with, server-client computing and relational database environments
- Experience with data management and data processing flowcharting techniques
- Knowledge of reporting and query tools and practices
- Good interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Technical documentation skills
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Good written and oral communication skill
DBA Job Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for ensuring availability and performance of the databases that support the system.
- Work to ensure that the associated hardware resources allocated to the databases and to ensure high resilience and performance tuning.
- Proactively monitor the database systems to ensure secure services with minimum downtime (SQL Server 2005/2008R2).
- Responsible for providing trend analysis to management team to enable them to make informed decisions regarding resource management.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and problem solving of SQL development.
- Responsible for improvement and maintenance of the databases to include rollout and upgrades.
- Responsible for implementation and release of database changes according to agreed timeframes
- Installation, configuration and upgrading of Microsoft SQL Server/MySQL/Oracle server software and related products.
- Evaluate MSSQL features and related products.
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures.
- Implement and maintain database security (create and maintain users and roles, assign privileges).
- Database and query tuning and performance monitoring.
- Application tuning and performance monitoring.
- Setup and maintain documentation and standards.
- Plan growth and changes (capacity planning).
- Work as part of a team and provide 7x24 supports when required.
- Do general technical trouble shooting and give consultation to development teams.
- Interface with external vendors, Harmony staff for technical support.
- ITIL Skill set requirement (Problem Management/Incident Management/Chain Management etc)
- Work with IT and Hosting team on optimal configuration/tuning/configuration of SQL and associated infrastructure/ (hardware/network/SAN, etc) to assure optimal performance of the Harmony applications disk configuration
- All other responsibilities as assigned
- Create, monitor and optimize data exactions, ETLs and other database jobs/processes to assure reliability, and optimal performance of Harmony products and services
- Assess production impact of proposed changes in database environment and support the change management deployment and rollback process as necessary
- Participates in development standards and practices for DBA administration and maintenance.
Skills / Attributes Required
- Demonstrated leadership skills to manage small to medium sized projects and teams to a desired outcome
- In depth SQL Server Database Administration experience. Experience of managing multiple MS SQL 2005/2008 RDBMS on large systems
- Strong self-sufficiency and initiative working on Database projects
- Practical experience in monitoring and tuning a database to provide a high availability service.
- Experience of Transactional SQL, and DTS stored procedures.
- Data Warehouse/ETL--preferred
- Practical experience in managing the internal and external MS SQL database security
- Knowledge/experience in third party MSSQL management and administration tools sushc as RedGate, SQL Backup, RedGate SQL Compare, CommVault Simpana, Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager and others as necessary
Harmony Information Systems, Inc. - 11 months ago