The successful candidate for this position will be working in Marathon’s Petro-Technical IT organization providing services to support critical applications by managing and maintaining all production and non-production databases. This person must be extremely hands-on as he/she will be the "go to" person for problem resolution. Strong interpersonal, communication, and client-facing skills required along with an ability to understand and communicate technical concepts to a business audience. Excellent written & verbal communication skills illustrated through work experience are also necessary. Will work with other service providers to coordinate resolution of Incidents and service outages and act as the local point of contact for any vendor representatives coming on site to perform IT support-related tasks.
The position will be located in Houston.
- Work in conjunction with database, storage and system administrators, and internal customers on database issues. Coordinate with system and storage administrators on DBMS product installation and complex database creation.
- Assist in review of database designs for integration with existing and planned databases, compliance with standards and effective use of software features.
- Assist in application of patches, security and enhancements related to the database environment. Keep abreast of changes in database technology
- Performance tuning of Oracle/MS SQL databases. Provide technical support and performance tuning in conjunction with systems and storage administrators. This includes trouble-shooting technical and performance problems with client connectivity, applications and reports.
- Provide efficient, reliable backup and recovery of all databases.
- Implement monitoring procedures to maximize availability and performance of the database systems/instances, while meeting defined targets; enforce corporate standards across all databases. Monitor and audit security logs and other related resources in an effort to provide a secure and robust system environment. Maintain, test and execute as required, disaster recovery operations and quarterly test drills.
- Adhere to and maintain corporate change control policies and procedures. Responsible for Change Management by ensuring that all requests for change are documented, approved and implemented consistently across all environment (development, test and production). Coordinate off-hour changes and manage controls. Maintain and update configuration, support and process & procedure (best practices) documentation.
- Provide Rotational 24 x 7 on call support; work with other experienced administrators on maintenance of environment.
Degree Required : Bachelors Required
Major Discipline : Computer Science or Information Systems related preferred
Experience Required : 1-2 years of experience as a DBA is highly preferred
Computer Proficiencies : Hands-on experience with Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) particularly Oracle, is required. Intermediate working skills in MS Windows and UNIX/Linux operating systems is also a requirement.
Apply for this job:
- Apply for this job online
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
- Email this opportunity to a friend
Marathon Oil - 23 months ago
Based in Houston, Texas, Marathon Oil is an independent exploration and production (E&P) with activity in North America, Europe and...