ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Making the Connections That Matter®
When a soldier under fire radios command. When a victim uses her cell phone to call 9-1-1 for help. When a driver is lost and uses GPS to find the way. When a parent uses his cell phone to check his child's location. When a friend texts to say she cares.
These are Connections That Matter®.
TCS’ innovative technologies make these connections happen. And in doing so, we have a positive influence on individual human lives on a global scale.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The ideal candidate is an experienced Database Specialist with both strong Agile Scrum delivery skills and project facilitation experience to work on the RCAS Program. The ideal candidate will have a deep technical understanding of Agile Software Development practices and experience delivering releasable software. In this role, they will have the opportunity to provide all activities related to the administration of computerized databases; project long-range requirements for database administration and design in conjunction with other managers in the information systems function; and advise users on access to various client/server databases. They will apply knowledge and experience with database technologies, development methodologies, and front-end (e.g., COGNOS)/back-end programming languages (e.g., SQL) to perform database programming and support systems design (includes maintenance of database dictionaries, overall monitoring of standards and procedures, file design and storage, and integration of systems of database design). They will possess and apply a comprehensive knowledge across key tasks and high impact assignments; plan and lead major technology assignments; evaluate performance results and recommend major changes affecting short-term project growth and success; and analyze Database requirements and lead the design and development of complex database systems. They will also analyze database architectures, derive requirements and assess impacts of changes of overall Database systems due to impacts from modernization efforts while ensuring all goals and objectives of an initiative and the program are accomplished within contract terms and conditions. This position is responsible for ensuring that all assigned work activities are performed in a timely and cost effective manner while maintaining the highest quality of performance.
- Serves as the Database Specialist responsible for activities associated with delivery of customer-defined systems and software projects; basic responsibilities include:
- Designs, creates, and maintains databases in a client/server environment.
- Conducts quality control and auditing of databases in a client/server environment to ensure accurate and appropriate use of data;
- Designs, implements, and maintains complex databases with respect to JCL, access methods, access time, device allocation, validation checks, organization, protection and security, documentation, and statistical methods.
- Conducts performance tuning of indexes and databases in general;
- Reviews database design and integration of systems, provides backup recovery and makes recommendations regarding enhancements and/or improvements.
- Maintains security and integrity controls.
- Formulates policies, procedures and standards relating to database management and monitors transaction activity and utilization.
- May develop stored procedures and/or triggers;
- Implements and maintains smooth operation and physical design of databases.
- Maintaining relevant metrics that help the team see how they are doing.
- Supporting long- and short-range planning;
- Strengthening the presence of the team as an Agile centre of excellence. Actively contributing to the organization Agile Community;
- Analyzing project-related problems and creating innovative solutions involving, scheduling, technology, methodology, tools and solution components;
- Performing scheduled and allocated work, providing advice and guidance, and resolving problems to meet technical performance and financial objectives;
- Developing new and refining existing process to enhance quality and productivity;
- Reviewing and evaluating work and preparing periodic performance reports.
- Ensuring product quality and timeliness of efforts;
- Direct Current and Relevant experience with RCAS is highly desirable.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, with or eligible for a Government security clearance
- College degree (B.S.; M.S.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Management Systems or a related discipline; 3+ years related technical experience
- Excellent communication skills in English in written and spoken form
- Strong software development background, with a minimum of three (3) solid years’ experience in incremental software development projects using an Agile Scrum approach
- Understanding of all elements of the software development life cycle, including planning, development, requirements management, CM, quality assurance, and release management
- Highly responsible, team-oriented individual with very strong communication skills and work ethic; self-starter
- Must demonstrate proficiency in the following areas, with experience obtained within the last five (5) years:
- 2 years’ experience developing systems using the following concepts: Database Development, Client/Server, Distributed Databases, Parallel Processing/Search, Distributed Metadata; XML / UML, High Volume, Low Latency Transaction Databases, Data Warehousing/Data Mining, Software Engineering/Development, Software Reuse/Object Oriented Development, OO Application Programming, GUIs, OO Design, COTS Integration.
- 2 years’ experience developing database software using Oracle, SQL Server or Sybase with the following experience: Database design, Data Modeling, Performance & tuning, Developing database software (stored procedures, constraints, indexes, etc.).
- 2 years’ experience in requirement analysis/generation and developing systems and software architectures;
- 2 years’ experience using one or more versions of the UNIX operating system including C Shell, Bourne Shell, Perl, X-Windows and utilities;
- Must be able to successfully complete and pass a background check & drug screening
- Experience with NT operating system and Linux
- Technical Certifications
- Experience with at least two of: C#.Net, IBM Mainframe/COBOL, HP Itanium/HPUX, HP Quality Suite, Oracle, VMware, information exchanges, data warehouse, client server, Serena Dimensions.
- Ability to apply advanced principles, theories, and concepts, and contribute to the development of innovative principles and ideas.
- Experience working on unusually complicated problems and providing solutions that are highly creative and ingenious, exhibiting ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness;
- Periodically develops data which goes beyond existing boundaries of information in field.
- Acts independently to expose and resolve problems.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer